Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
188 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 186

Todd W. White, Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Part substitutions and interchangablity
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
David's statement WRT to front fenders for 51-54 is essentially correct - as far as the basic stamping goes. However, the devil is in the details - that is, the holes punched for various trim used over the years. This site's Service Index will lead you, beyond the shop manual and parts book, to the rest of the story, via the following series of articles:

* Service Front Fenders - 24th, 25th, 26th Series, in SC Vol. 27, No. 2 (p. 11)

* Service Front Fenders - Correction, in SC Vol. 27, No. 8 (p. 38)

* Service Front Fenders - 24th-25th-26th-54th Series, in SC Vol. 28, No. 3 (p. 10)

Looking at the 48-54 parts book (Gr. 0.000), except for Caribbeans (which had a hood scoop), a single hood (bonnet) services 51-53, but something changes for 54, though I'm not sure exactly what that is. Yet, know that production hoods for 51 models were pre-punched, across the leading edge, to accept pins for chrome letteres: "P A C K A R D".

WRT front bumpers (Gr. 2.000), the parts book shows 51-52 using the same assembly, but complete assemblies were apparently not supplied for 53-54 - serviced only by as individual parts. However, the front impact bar used for 51-52 models appears to carry over for 53-54 Clippers

Alas, my time is in short suppply and my knowledge of these cars is rather limited; you're gone have to do your homework on the radiator grille (starting with Gr. 30.874).

However, keep in mind that the factory parts book is your first, best friend. If the applications listings are confuusing you, that may simply be a matter of getting cozy with series, chassis and model designations.

1951 = 24th Series; chassis and body/model numbers follow 24nn format

1952 = 25th Series; chassis and body/model numbers follow 25nn format

1953 = 26th Series; chassis and body/model numbers follow 26nn format

1954 = 54th Series; chassis and body/model numbers follow 54nn format

Not sure which 54th Series model you have, but with a 327, it must be from the Deluxe (chassis 5401) or Super (chassis 5411) line. Next, understand that multiple bodies/models could be built on a given chassis; for example the Deluxe (4-door) Touring Sedan (body 5492), the Deluxe (2-door) Club Sedan (body 5495), and the Sportster (2-door) Coupe (body 5497) were all built on the 5401 chassis.

Service parts for components like carburetors, generators, distributors, and starters are neatly organized in their respective tables, but you must first divine the Packard P/N for the unit for your car (provided it's OE) from the application listing, which precedes the table. That initial listing often references the supplier's tag number.

You will gain an invaluable amount of education by studying the free resources provide by this one site and then be able to ask highly-informed questions on those areas not covered in the texts.

Hope this helps point you in the right direction.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 9:58
 Top  Print   

Re: Part substitutions and interchangablity
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
As far as grilles, the 53 and 54 junior grills are interchangeable. If you have a 54 Deluxe or Super which have the extra wrap around fluted pieces, then you have to drill and tap the bottom edge of the grille shell to attach those pieces. If you take a look at my blog it shows this procedure, as the grill on my '54 is off of a '53 donor car. Otherwise the grills identical. 51-52 grilles are different.

Somewhere I posted a something that gave a break down of some of the differences between the various 51-54 models.

But basically while the 51-54 use common fenders and same basic body shell. The 51-52 are different than the 53-54 models. (grille, windshield shape, etc)

Posted on: 2013/7/3 21:06
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved