Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
190 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 189

Joe Santana, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Part substitutions and interchangablity
Just popping in
Just popping in

Joe 54 clipper
See User information
Does anyone know of a reliable source to find out what parts are interchangeable between models? For example, I need a starter and generator for a 54 327. I'd like to know if all the delco generators from 48-54 will work without modification. Even better, is there ford or chevy generators that would work?

Being new to Packard restoration, this kind of information would be invaluable.

Thanks,
Joe

Posted on: 2013/7/2 8:09
 Top  Print   

Re: Part substitutions and interchangablity
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The first pass would be to use the Packard Master Parts listing. If a starter from a 1951 had the same Packard part number as the 1954, you have your answer. Beyond that, some parts will interchange despite having different part numbers, which may or may not require some modest modifications. A good source for this information for many parts would be the Hollander Interchange Manual which would also show interchange between makes of cars.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 8:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Decades ago, I looked through a Hollander Interchange Manual (once a staple in the automotive recycling biz), but found it rather useless for the 55-56 Packards. Not sure WRT to 51-54.

Packards International had, long ago, published a set of interchange manuals that covered typical service parts, like bearings, bushings, seals, stats, etc. for many years of Packards, but after thumbing through it, I didn't find much that I wasn't already aware of for my 55-56 cars. Again, not sure WRT to 51-54, but dunno if it's even still available.

WRT to components supplied by third-party, there's usually a tag on distributors, generators, starters, etc. with a model number that you may be able to run up against catalogs for other makes, but don't hold your breath hoping for a match. Carburetors also came with tags, these were often (foolishly) discarded in the course of routine service. Things like carburetors and ditributors are pretty much "dialed in" for a specific engine.

You might do better if you could lay hands on an old edition (like, from the 60s-70s) of a paper catalog from an aftermarket parts supplier. Also, while units may differ, some of the internals might interchange - that is, if you're willing to try your hand at repair/rebuild.

Meanwhile, have you looked through the site's Packard Parts X-ref? (Look for the link along the left side of any page.)

Posted on: 2013/7/2 9:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The 2-volume set of Packard International's interchange information that I have looks like it was taken directly from Hollanders. It's a generally useful source.

PS - the Packards International Parts and Interchange Manuals I have are dated 1978 and were published by the Southern California Region of PI. If I had to guess, I'd say they ran into copyright issues and ceased printing.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 9:12
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
While they may not be the same part number because of running changes, generally all the motor accessories will interchange between all the blocks in the 51-54 327/288 motors from a functionality standpoint. IE. a Delco starter will work and mount up where a Autolite one was. Same mounting and flywheel pattern. Same with generators as long as you use the appropriate VR with it.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 11:09
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
And as far as that goes, I would be very happy to sell you a starter and generator. I am in Parkton MD and will be having an open house at my shop on the 13th if you wanted to stop by. That holds true for all the rest of you Infomaniacs. Just PM me.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 11:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
While an Auto-Lite and Delco generator will bolt right up in place of each other you cannot mix and match the systems. It needs to be everything one system or another.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 16:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
My 55 Clipper Super had a Delco generator on it when I first got it. Since the Clipper originally came with Auto Lite equipment, I decided to replace the Delco generator with an Auto Lite. I found a used Auto Lite on the InterWeb and bought it and reconditioned it.

When I went to install the Auto Lite I noticed the Delco had some washers to shim the generator to the mounting bracket. After removal I noticed that the mounting bracket on the engine said Auto Lite. So the Delco and Auto Lite generators have different mounting brackets, at least in the V-8s. They are close in dimensions, but not the same.

I replaced the voltage regulator, which I shorted out, with a universal one. It does not care if a Delco or Auto Lite generator is connected, or whether it is in positive or negative grounded system. All is working well.

Don't know if this is true for the 6-volt systems.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/7/2 17:04
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Joe 54 clipper
See User information
Thank you all for the prompt response. I will look into the Hollander Interchange Manual. I have looked through the parts lists, but they aren't very straight forward on what goes on what, at least not to me. (EDIT- I just found the '48-54 Plates' book, that helps a bit)

I'm finding that the generators are easier to come by than the starters as they seem to be much more universal. There is currently a reconditioned starter on ebay, but with cost+shipping+core... Well ouch! There was a good cross reference in the ad though.

I picked up a carb that is missing a choke cover. I figured the choke cover would be fairly interchangeable between carter carbs, but that search still continues.

Also does anyone know what year fenders, bumpers and grilles are interchangeable with the 54 clipper?

Thanks again,
Joe

Posted on: 2013/7/2 18:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I believe that the fenders for 51-54 junior series are all the same. Here is a photo of the front and rear ends of my 51 200. I do know that the Patrician is about 4" wider than the 200, so the bumpers from them won't fit. Let me know if you need a close up photos. The letters P A C K A R D on the hood weren't used in 52.

You might want to talk with Ross about the starter. My experience with buying starters and generators is that it is a lot better to work with a good shop, rather than taking a chance with someone on Ebay knowing which one works on which car. I saw an ad today, offering to sell a flathead V8 from a 51 Packard. They even included a photo of the engine and said the head (not heads) were in the car. Interesting......

Attach file:

jpg  (135.04 KB)
1679_51d36b659fd3f.jpg 1280X720 px

jpg  (115.12 KB)
1679_51d36b76de538.jpg 1280X720 px

Posted on: 2013/7/2 19:08
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved