Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
201 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 199

Darrin180, DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Super Clipper Snubber
Home away from home
Home away from home

LJJ
See User information
Does anyone have a photo of the correct gearbox snubber set up looks like for the 21st series Super Clippers? I just want to make sure my car (2126) is correct.

Thanks

Posted on: 2013/7/8 22:05
1963 Morris Cooper 997
1969 Austin 1800
 Top  Print   

Re: Super Clipper Snubber
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I think this is what you are asking about. If not, I have nothing that looks remotely like the earlier prewar pieces that flackmaster had duplicated & called a snubber.

This is what I have for a 2106 with overdrive. I've come up missing a few odds and ends for the car which seem to have disappeared but unless something in this assy has gone missing over the years, believe it to be complete.

If it is the correct item you're asking about, perhaps someone can verify it is complete for both our benefit. Non overdrive cars have a different set of part numbers so don't know what the differences might be.

Attach file:

jpg  (85.91 KB)
209_51db87cc04aba.jpg 1280X826 px

Posted on: 2013/7/8 22:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

LJJ
See User information
Thank you Howard, that does appear to be the same as fitted to my car. I'm just trying to determine that my car is set up correctly.

Posted on: 2013/7/8 22:55
1963 Morris Cooper 997
1969 Austin 1800
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Does your car have overdrive? if so, 335698 335699 top is original style, MM gets 250 for the pair of ends plus a 150 core charge. Bottom is my HD reproduction. Only the cognoscenti would detect the difference. I believe the snubber seen above is the Clipper non overdrive version (??) , which evolved into the 22nd series version, basically a rubber bushed rod, same function, easier to service.

Attach file:

jpg  (86.92 KB)
439_51db89d92f6b9.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/7/8 22:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe the snubber seen above is the Clipper non overdrive version (??) , which evolved into the 22nd series version, basically a rubber bushed rod, same function, easier to service.

The multi part unit shown above is definitely R9 overdrive. The plate bolts to frame directly under the rear of OD so the rubber filled coiled assy fits between it and the rear bottom of OD. L bracket goes to rear of trans/front of OD area.

Not sure what is different on non OD other than there doesn't appear any place the rubber filled coil would bolt.

Posted on: 2013/7/8 23:19
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

LJJ
See User information
My car is equipped with overdrive.

Posted on: 2013/7/8 23:21
1963 Morris Cooper 997
1969 Austin 1800
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

LJJ
See User information
I just stumbled across this photo (which is of a Station Sedan), and my 2126 is set up the same.

Attach file:

jpg  (44.84 KB)
4570_51ddcc9449f83.jpg 640X427 px

Posted on: 2013/7/10 16:05
1963 Morris Cooper 997
1969 Austin 1800
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I am learning something here by sight, not by retreating to the parts book for once. I have always suspected that its just a matter of simple adaptation for this late style snubber, per 22nd series photo, that is easily adapted to the earlier cars. The rear tranny mount is slightly different, with the vertical lip, and a simple angle bracket on the other end to use this snubber. The parts book, in its infinite wisdom lists the earlier style snubber, as I have pictured, see 5.1507, 15071 and 1508 (overdrive equipped cars) Somewhere there is probably a service letter for this "update". Anybody recall seeing that?

Posted on: 2013/7/10 16:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I have mentioned this before. Re-bushing the clutch anti-chatter bar on my 47 Custom Clipper improved the second to high shifting. Don't know why, but it did. I used some surplus shock absorber bushings.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/7/10 16:32
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
flackmaster -

In composing the various installments for this site's Service Index, I only found reference to snubber equipment in the following articles:

* Clutch Chatter (1600-1), in SL Vol. 12, No. 13, shows a rather basic (early) design.

* Clutch Chatter (1600-1), inSL Vol. 13, No. 1, shows a superseding design (a 17th Series retrofit) with two socket joints.

* Loose Motor Snubber Links (1700-1-3), inSL Vol. 13, No. 1, shows only a partial view of a socket joint and a cylindrical (transmission) insulator.

* Clutch Chatter (1600-1), inSL Vol. 13, No. 14, shows actual view from under car, but I can't see any snubber, there.

* Engine Roughness (18th Series WITHOUT Econo-Drive) , inSL Vol. 13, No. 19, shows a design like what's shown in images attached to posts #2 and #7 above - rubber insulators, sandwiched between washers and nuts, on a threaded rod.

* Clutch Chatter (all models), in SL Vol. 17, No. 16, but no illustration is provided.

Sorry, there's no clear-cut update in any of the service newsletters. I'm wondering if this was covered in a Technical Letter, but we have a few examples of those, here.

Meanwhile, the parts books are about as clear as mud.

I'm not all that famillar with this aspect of these cars, but it looks to me like the design with the simple threaded rod and rubber insulators/bushings was first used on 18th Series cars WITHOUT overdrive (replacing socket type formerly used with 17th Series) and carried over, with similar application, to 1951 and 20th-21st Series. This design then appears to have been expanded to ALL transmissions for 22nd-23rd Series - standard, overdrive, and even Ultramatic.

Posted on: 2013/7/10 21:19
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved