Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
217 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 217

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Super Clipper Snubber
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
...rubber insulators/bushings was first used on 18th Series cars WITHOUT overdrive (replacing socket type formerly used with 17th Series) and carried over, with similar application, to 1951 and 20th-21st Series Clippers.

Not sure if I'm understanding your model usage above correctly as to with or without OD but I'm thinking it must have carried over to all postwars thru 50. LJJ and I both have 21st series with overdrive & that style appears to have been the factory offering that came with our cars. I also wonder why an Ultra would need any kind of a snubber.

Posted on: 2013/7/10 21:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Well, the 41-47 book shows a turnbuckle (Gr. 5.1508) for 1951 and 20th-21st Clippers with overdrive - a part that was only used with the socket type joints/links.

Meanwhile, the 48-54 book lists a snubber assembly (Gr. 5.15001) specifically for 23rd Series models with Ultramatic.

Posted on: 2013/7/10 22:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Another one of those Packard anomalies where you can't always believe the parts book. Since both types were available for 21st series and frame appears to be drilled with a second set of holes, perhaps supplies ran short and they went with what they had -- or maybe it was a late change since they had decided on them for 22nd series. With the trouble Mal had with his pre flackmaster version, I'm glad they did go with the simple version for mine.

Posted on: 2013/7/10 22:25
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I am, of course, interested in this discussion and please excuse my lazyiness in not researching the parts book as to the transmission mount, especially as the photo suggests alternate drilling locations, possibly that the mount, and therefor an explanation, is different for an overdrive car. So...back to the original posters question, which may be answered by which transmission mount is in the car, which is correct. Per the parts book, overdrive cars got the ball stud style, while non-od cars got the straight bushed rod version. Note also that Non-od cars did not have the additional support under the overdrive unit, and my tired mind is drawing a blank on placement of the non-OD 40-47 straight bushed rod snubber at issue here.

PS - the station sedan photo is an R11 unit, not sure if this matters. JW - any chance you have an archived photo of the underside of your car?

Posted on: 2013/7/10 23:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

flackmaster wrote:...JW - any chance you have an archived photo of the underside of your car?

No photos of the work I did fixing the clutch anti-chatter rod on my 47 Custom Clipper. The car has overdrive. The one on my car is like the one in the photo LJJ posted: Station Sedan Snubber. It is not like the ball joint ones in other photos. The car is not at home now and so I can't go out in the garage and take a look. Sorry.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/7/11 11:18
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Howard's picture shows packages of Steele rubber grommets 30-0310-33. That number comes up as stabilizer link grommets. Will those work for the transmission support as well? In that case you need two not four. I'm thinking they will interchange, just want to make sure.
Thanks.

Posted on: 2013/10/3 1:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Mark Graber wrote:
Howard's picture shows packages of Steele rubber grommets 30-0310-33. That number comes up as stabilizer link grommets. Will those work for the transmission support as well? In that case you need two not four. I'm thinking they will interchange, just want to make sure.
Thanks.

The items work fine on the later snubber rod but I'm not following on what piece you mean with the transmission support. Other than what is shown in that photo, I don't have anything else in that area that could use them. Maybe something different is on your car or am I missing something else on mine?

Don't believe they would work on the two post original type snubber if that is what you are referring to. Believe the rubber on those is vulcanized in and molded to the various pieces. Don't think it can be replaced other than with new ends. On that style, I think flackmasters repro is the best solution if the overall length is the same on the later cars.

Posted on: 2013/10/3 8:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
My 23rd Series Deluxe 8 has Ultramatic and also the simple snubber rod. I got the rubber grommets from Steele. I have no idea why the snubber is necessary on an automatic.

Posted on: 2013/10/3 9:11
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Apologies for the confusion. My assembly is the same as Howards. I thought the parts book referred to this as a "transmission support".
Thanks guys.

Posted on: 2013/10/3 12:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure whether the support is the rear coil spring rubber filled thing or the two side brackets with the rubber between. Packards nomenclature is interesting at times.

Incidentally, if your transmission side brackets are as hard as a rock like mine were, Kanter has brand new repros for less than revulcanized pieces and no core charge.

Posted on: 2013/10/3 13:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved