Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
168 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 166

dallas, Soybeanfarmer1 , more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Front Sway bar on 1949 Super
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

John Rogers
See User information
My old '49 Super doesn't corner well. I looked under the nose expecting to find some worn out rubber bushings on the sway bar and instead found NO SWAY BAR.

I am searching for a unit to purchase, but they seem fairly simple so I was considering making one.

Does anyone know the diameter of the bar?

Does anyone have a picture of the set-up?

I will probably have to use a tool steel rod of an appropriate length. To avoid bending or welding the hardened rod, I will key each end and make a set of bars to mount on the rod to go back toward the A-arms. I will machine a set of blocks to mount the sway bar to the frame. I intend to make some links down to the A-arms with some urethane bushings all around. Thoughts?

Posted on: 2013/8/5 19:30
John Series 23 Super 8
 Top  Print   

Re: Front Sway bar on 1949 Super
Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
The Welder Series sway bar I used on my 38 is 3/4". Just about all parts stores have the sway bar bushings in urethane. For the end links I just got some of the already made links with the bushings but I attached a Heim joint to the upper end.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 19:46
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
It shouldn't be too hard to find a used sway bar. All 1948-50 models used the same one. Reproduction links and bushings are available.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 19:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I'll happily sell you one from a 48. $75 plus shipping. PM if interested.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 21:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
I used to manufacture custom sway bars. You use alloy steel such as AISI4340. Bend it hot and have it heat treated for strength afterwards. Many sway bars have forged ends with holes machined in them. I did that using old fashioned blacksmith techniques (torch and hammer).

At today's costs you would pay more for heat treatment than a used original bar would cost. The offer for $75 is a good one. Steele Rubber Products has all the rubber parts, but you may need to make the steel brackets if you cannot find used ones. Sway bar link kits are available in auto parts stores and speed shops.

If you need new rubber bushings let me know and I will sell two new ones from Steele at a discount. I did not need them on my packard so I used the originals.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 9:24
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

John Rogers
See User information
Ross,

Thanks for taking the time to help me out with the sway bar! I know it was a lot of trouble to remove it and send it.

This will make my car a whole lot more drivable!

Posted on: 2013/8/12 14:55
John Series 23 Super 8
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

John Rogers
See User information
All,

Although I am going to use an original one, I found what looks like a possible replacement for the front bar on 22nd and 23rd Packards on EBay. The Packard Bar looks to be about 44" long and needs to be straight between the mounts to go through stuff in front of the radiator. It looked like it would be minimal modifications. I may have had to forge new eyes on the ends to make it fit, but it was 3/4 inch diameter and available at various overall lengths.

The ebay link is:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130868232044?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

It seems pretty reasonable at $129 plus $18 shipping.

John from KC

Posted on: 2013/8/12 15:11
John Series 23 Super 8
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
Although that sway bar shown on Ebay is a decent price the chances of it working on your Packard are nearly zero.

There are many interfaces that have to match;
1. The non-straight part of the bar between the bearings has to miss other parts of the car
2. The distance between the support bearings has to match the distance on the Packard.
3. The support bearing brackets have to mate with the hole pattern in the Packard.
4. The links have to be the proper length.
5. The link end swivel bearings have to mate with the suspension brackets.
6. The end-to-end overall dimension of the bar has to match the suspension bracket spacing on the Packard
7. The arm lengths on the bar have to match the Packard dimensions.
8. The shape of the arms has to miss the front tires when the steering is turned fully.
9. The biggest item of all - the bar has to be made of heat treated alloy steel. I have seen cheap ones made of mild steel that yields when the car is driven hard or hits a big one-wheel bump or simply is jacked up on one side. Beware a "universal" part that fits nothing.

By the way I would like to find a heavy duty sway bar for my Series 23 Packard too, but I have yet to see one.

Posted on: 2013/8/13 9:27
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

John Rogers
See User information
I put in my sway bar that I acquired from Ross (Thanks, Ross for your help) a few days ago. It still looks like that Ebay bar would be promising to try with a few questions. Perhaps a question on the distance from the shaft pivots to the center of the eye would be helpful. The bar needs to be straight between its mounting pivots. The bar should be 44 1/2 inches long between link centers and 3/4" diameter.

I used universal links from the auto parts store. I chose the 3 7/8" long. The bar is working well.

It helped my steering.

Thanks,

John from KC

Posted on: 2013/8/20 12:51
John Series 23 Super 8
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved