Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
135 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 132

Tobs, remi, moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Removing Steering Idler
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

John Rogers
See User information
All,

I am having some trouble removing the steering idler from the connecting bar and the bracket. My bushing assembly that is screwed onto the bracket is loose.

Is there some trick to removing the ball from the connecting rod? I loosened the adjustment screw and the ball end is stubborn. Secondly, the bushing assembly that also fastens the idler to the bracket will not come off of the bracket. It turns for quite a ways until it binds.

I was hoping to get the bushing assembly out and make a new bushing for it.

Any help?

Thanks,

Posted on: 2013/8/20 12:59
John Series 23 Super 8
 Top  Print   

Re: Removing Steering Idler
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
I'm not real familiar with the Packards from '48 through '50 but someone here must know. Do you have the Factory Service Manual for that year? If not, it may be availabe for download here.

Posted on: 2013/8/20 14:22
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

John Rogers
See User information
Mystery solved on the idler arm to the bracket. The bushing assembly rotates on internal left hand threads on the bracket and is fastened to the idler arm with right hand threads on the outside of the assy. Since the bearing surface is actually the left hand threads, grease will take up the slack quite nicely.

I did not get the ball socket out of the steering connecting rod. I would still like to know if there is a trick to it.

At any rate, the car drives like a tired 64 year old going on 45 instead of like a roller coaster about to come off of the rails after tightening the connecting rod and greasing the idler. (And installing an anti-sway bar).

Thanks

Posted on: 2013/8/20 16:05
John Series 23 Super 8
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
On 8/8/2007, I wrote this in a posting, Quote:
"Ok, I've got the oil pan off, cleaned out and ready to be re-installed. Now, can someone give me the magic incantation to get the pitman arm ball and idler arm ball out of the steering cross-rod assembly? In the past, I've disassembled the cross-rod on my '41 limousine without any problem. The ball is in a keyhole shaped slot so when the adjusting plug is removed, the ball slides to the larger opening and comes right out.

On the '50 however, after removing the adjusting plug and the outside half of the ball seat, the ball stays in the cross-rod no matter how much I push, pull, squeeze, wiggle, rotate, twist, and swear. It isn't critical that I get it all disassembled, but I would really like to get the 57 years worth of black goo out and replace it with clean grease."

Never got an answer but I did eventually get the idler arm disconnected from the cross-rod. If I remember correctly, when the adjusting plug is removed, one of the cup shaped seats (spring loaded inner?) continued to hold the ball in place. I used a screwdriver to hold the bearing off the ball so it would release from the hole (I think).

Posted on: 2013/8/20 16:28
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved