Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
142 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 140

kevinpackard, DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'49 Deluxe 288 vacuum routing
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I looked at the plates and service manual and they rerouted the vacuum. I guess the pump wasn't working. I'll have the pump rebuilt soon and need to get tubing and plumb up. I've not yet got a real solid idea on the correct routing.
The booster pump inlet runs along the block and the end with the hose was not connected/plugged. The pump outlet wasn't connected.
The plate and service manual shows the pump out going to the intake manifold and the inlet extends past the picture behind the motor. They had the wiper motor connected on the intake. So if I connect pump there then the wiper motor needs vacuum source. Does the inlet go direct to the wiper motor or are there other vacuum needs/connections back at the firewall for interior/trans/clutch/ etc.? The heater valve is missing and there's a tube coming up there which might be the wiper connection or something else.
Is there a better routing source or schematic? Am I on the right track or not? Thanks.

Posted on: 2013/8/20 15:26
 Top  Print 

Re: '49 Deluxe 288 vacuum routing
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Glad I'm not the only one who ever had this problem. Phew!
After closer inspection, I'm going to connect the line on the firewall to the wiper motor, proximity gives it away, and pump inlet and pump outlet to the manifold. It shows up the most times and makes the most flow sense. And it won't screw anything up, if it's wrong. If there's anything later, I can add.
My 30+ years of eng'g in hazardous chemicals have taught me to seek out other opinions when things aren't clear and to demand complete and thorough documentation on systems. 80% of all problems I troubleshot came down to not being run at design conditions. The rest usually weren't designed right or unforeseen/unresolvable.
Check, recheck, and check it again. Eliminates 99+% of errors. So far, the one I assumed and didn't check was wrong...

Posted on: 2013/8/21 8:37
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Wish I could offer a photo of the tubing but I have none showing a complete route. One of those several things Packard didn't provide much information on.

Here is a photo of a 22nd series BDeB posted in another thread showing part of the routing up toward the wiper motor. The vacuum antenna and most other vacuum needs would be fed from the tee in the hose. No idea if there are any substantial differences to clear anything in 23rds.http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=122108#forumpost122108

Posted on: 2013/8/21 8:52
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Pretty basic routing, the inlet side of the vacuum booster pump is fed by the intake manifold and the outlet goes to the wipers. If you have Electromatic, it has it's own dedicated vacuum feed not associated with the booster pump.

PS - I expressed my self poorly, the port of the vacuum booster pump that exhausts air should be connected to the intake manifold, the other port to the wipers. My apologies, I'm still a bit jet-lagged.

Posted on: 2013/8/21 9:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Thanks again. I'm pretty(99.99+%) sure I got it right, after some more digging. I found another non-Packard source and they made the same "mistake" on the pump. I'm a ChemEng. and we live under vacuum, so that was the easy part. Whomever rerouted this tubing must have worked in a maze most of their life... I don't know if they just gave up, or it actually ran like that... I'm sure it wasn't going far with what I took out of the fuel pump sump. You could have repaired a good size chuckhole with that wad. Driving in the rain musta been fun.
My fix on the exhaust manifold carb heat riser worked out. It's a bit tricky without removing it but it's a neat solution, if you're tube is rotted off. We do alot of tubing too.

Posted on: 2013/8/24 21:00
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved