Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
217 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 216

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1934 Packard V12 Speedometer
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I have to know, is this speedometer with the RPM only for V12 models? If so, I imagine it'll be expensive as heck. But, I'd still love to have one, it'd be perfect for my Speedster.

Attach file:

jpg  (45.12 KB)
34_488837297cf03.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/7/24 3:02
 Top  Print   

Re: 1934 Packard V12 Speedometer
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, Twelve only.

Posted on: 2008/7/24 7:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
How does it work?

Posted on: 2008/7/24 12:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Owen probably knows the answer but just for fun I am guessing that unless the outer rpm ring turned counter clockwise it looks as though the rpm/mph ratio is simply marked on the dial for 3rd gear operation only e.g. 55mph=2500rpm. Could be wrong but that is my guess unless there is another needle hiding in there somewhere . If this is right Packard must have had different dials for each differential ratio.

Posted on: 2008/7/24 12:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I think there's actually two needles on there, think minute hand and second hand on a clock. If you look REALLY closely, I think I see the two seperate needles, the skinny one on top is probably for the RPM, as it looks red to me. You have to look right at the line where the black and the white meet, where the needle is, and you can see the red tip of the other needle sticking past.

Anyway, I'm betting that the tach is cable drive. It sure would be neat to have one of those converted to electric and installed in the '34 dash that I'm putting in my Speedster. It solves the problem of where I'm going to put a tach, as I want to keep the original clock in it's place, but I don't want to mount the tach on the steering column or make any extra holes in the dash.

Posted on: 2008/7/24 13:31
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Wasnt there a thread on here awhile back about the Tachs being driven via a cable that attached to the back on the generator?

Posted on: 2008/7/24 14:19
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Kevin, these V12 units aren't real tachs but simply speedometers with a scale of rpms printed around the face to show engine revs in high gear. There are a few Packards around with real tachometers that were perhaps some sort of later option though I haven't researched it. But not this one.

Posted on: 2008/7/24 14:52
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Very interesting!

Posted on: 2008/7/24 15:01
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Owen, Do you know if there were different dial faces to allow for the optional differential gears or was there only one dial face?

Posted on: 2008/7/24 16:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't have my Twelve parts book handy, but as I remember there was a faceplate for each rear axle ratio.

Posted on: 2008/7/24 17:21
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved