Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 153

29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

41 120 Horn Button Diagram
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim Kavanagh
See User information
I recently bought my 41 120 and about the only thing not working on it is the horn. My repair manual does not have a diagram of the steering wheel side of the steering column, but I have removed a lot of steering wheels.
This one was easy, and pretty clean design. Just a center wire to provide current, a horn ring attached to the button, and a giant spring to keep the critical components apart. Given the design of the center wire and the other parts, I do not see how the contact is actually made. I am trying to figure out if I am missing a spring or spacer somewhere.
I have a couple questions:
With the unit apart, how do I test the horn? Should be easy.
Does anyone have a picture, repair manual description or exploded diagram of the area so I can see if I am missing anything?
I appreciate the help.
BTW - How do you upload pictures of your baby to the site? Other than the one I uploaded to the registry, I don't see how it is done.
Thanks!

Attach file:

jpg  (36.31 KB)
843_4888afad458de.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/7/24 11:39
 Top  Print   

Re: 41 120 Horn Button Diagram
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
You can upload pictures in via the "Packard Pictures" option on the main menu. Just go into the appropriate picture catagory (1941 for example), and their you will find a "Add Picture" or "Add New" link. Cant remember what it is called.

Posted on: 2008/7/24 12:01
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You can test the horns individually by just applying power to them, for example with a jumper wire from the battery hot post. Or you can check both (3 on some models) by just using a jumper to ground the terminal of the relay that goes up the steering column. If the horns power and honk individually but not by grounding the relay terminal, then the relay is suspect.

Posted on: 2008/7/24 12:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim Kavanagh
See User information
I am assuming the wire going up the steering column should be "hot" all the time.
With the key on (which i doubt really matters) I get nothing through the wire. There appears to be no current whatever, which is probably why the horn button does not activate the horn,
On the wiring diagram, I do not see any horn relay other than the horn button.
The horns (each and both) do activate when tested similarly to Owen's suggestion, but I am just pulling current from another source.
Where exactly would I find the relay switch?
Other thoughts?
The column wire looks to be in good shape at the steering wheel side.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 13:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Richard Taylor
See User information
The wire going up the column should be connected to the horn relay,follow that wire from the bottom of the steering column and it should lead you to it.
That same wire is a ground circut.Grounding the wire at the top of the steer tube to the chassis should make the relay close and the horns blow.If you only hear a click,then take a look at the relay and its circut.
There is a wiring diagram in the owners manual that Mal donated to this site.

Attach file:

jpg  (55.80 KB)
555_488a2546b4d93.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/7/25 13:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Perhaps you have no power to the relay. I don't recall just where the relay is located, but someone else will come along and tell us. But just follow the wire from the steering column or from the horns and they should lead you to a small (c.a. 1 x 1-1/2) relay with a stamped steel cover with may be embossed "RBM". NAPA still sells replacement 6 volt 3-terminal horn relays, it would be Echlin part# HR-100.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 13:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe the relay is on back of horn bracket on some models. A rectangular box with 2 wires plus the horns connected. I think it is powered directly from battery post on solenoid.

Gorgeous car. Was it a California car by chance? I know that is a popular combination but a good friend had one exactly like it he drove on lots of tours. Sometimes he'd take his Pierce Arrow but wondered where the Packard might have gone after he was finished with it.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 13:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim Kavanagh
See User information
Hello HH,

Thank you for the compliment. The two-tone paint on the car does turn heads.

I don't know if it was originally a California Car, but I have been over and under every inch on it and I see no sign of rust anywhere. The undercarriage is extremely clean abd not heavily undercoated, just painted.

The car was in a private museum since 1994 here in California. Based on the display signs and paraphernalia in the trunk, it was displayed in several shows.

I plan to have the chassis detailed and put it in local shows, but my wife and I want to drive it occasionally as well, so I don't plan on going over the top.

This is the first Packard I have owned and I really am impressed with it. It is a blast. Fairly complex, I think, for a car of its age.

I have a Plymouth Woodie as well, and it is 100% more straight forward. But this car is just a very sweet ride.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 19:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
94 would be about right as I think it was sold around 90-91. Doug lived in Coarsegold, CA & if any of those items are for any car shows around Fresno or Central Valley area, that would be it. Whomever/wherever it was from, still gorgeous.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 20:11
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved