Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
223 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 223

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: '51 Valve Clatter and Other Mysteries
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is one other Packard sanctioned option -- although it wasn't used for that particular engine. When they first revised the plumbing because of the lifter noise, apparently the cross wasn't available or at least wasn't used. If no one can come up with a cross, fittings to approximate something along the early revised arrangement should be more readily available.

Attach file:

jpg  (23.71 KB)
209_5231c1e95ad56.jpg 369X408 px

Posted on: 2013/9/12 8:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Howard - I was thinking the same thing, make up the necessary fittings to accomplish what the special "T" does. You beat me to it and with a factory illustration. This information should be most useful to others facing the same problem.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/9/12 10:38
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Thank you Howard & JW! While I'm not as finicky about "corrctness" with my '51 as I am with the '55, I would prefer not to have something that screams "RUBE GOLDBERG" everytime the hood (bonnet) is opened. Of course an arrangement that deivers the correct amount of oil to the various components would be nice too.
I'm going to swing by the hydraulic fabricators today and see what they have to offer. Even if its just "close' I'll be happy. If not and no one has a spare they want to sell I'll follow your "Plan 'B'".

Thanks again guys.

Posted on: 2013/9/12 11:08
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I saw at least a dozen different types of brass Weatherhead Tees today, on the Grainger site I believe but just google Weatherhead if you haven't already. None were what you want but several looked like they could be reworked to use, a little lathe turning, some threading and cutting inverted flare seats, etc.

Posted on: 2013/9/12 17:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Thank you O_D, I've got to get Grainger more engraved on my brain. I appreciate you taking the time to research that for me.
I didn't find anything close - period; in Portland but I did go by a place I used once years ago as a last resort. The name is Oil Filter Services Company here in Portland. I gave them fitting from the car and after a while they came back with something that will work and cost $9.26 - which I thought was pretty good. I will probably have to make new lines so as not to ruin the originals in case I do come across the correct fitting. I planning on attaching a photo of the old and new fitting. The original is on the right.
At any event, the next step is to get the lifters out of the spare engine, clean them up and check them out. After I have what I need, I'll pull the head off the engine in the car and replace the one or two noisy lifters and that should be it.

More later.

Attach file:

jpg  (18.39 KB)
3087_5232711247538.jpg 513X368 px

Posted on: 2013/9/12 20:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Jim - Looks like a perfectly acceptable substitute.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/9/12 21:05
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Thanks JW. I thought I heard wrong when the told me 4he price. T4hes guys duplicated one of the oil lines for the Hydro-Boost system in my j70 Lincoln Continental that was a spot on match. They can make anything along the hydraulic line (no pun intended). They should be espicially good with hydraulic windows & seats. I'll add them to the Vendors List.

Posted on: 2013/9/13 12:04
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved