Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 206

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: '51 Valve Clatter and Other Mysteries
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
More or less answered my own question about the numbers I found on the lower right had side of the engine. It seems that the engine in my 200 Deluxe is indeed a service engine which accounts for there beign no serial number. According to the reference chart on site; what's lurking under my hood is a five main bearing 327 which was cast on 10-13-54.

One lives and learns.

Posted on: 2013/9/1 20:42
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:

As to the lifter oil bleed holes, don't expect to see significant amounts of oil spurting from them.

Actually 3 bleed holes do have enough oil shooting out on the upstroke that the spurt clears the engine. Would that indicate a problem with the check ball?

PS. Yes Howard it does have a filter but if it is a '54 Service Replacement, it should be plumbed right. Except I may have changed it. Something more to check tomorrow.

Posted on: 2013/9/1 23:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I've always had a terible time finding which lifters are noisy, but this works: Lay the stem of the stethescope on each lifter as the engine is idling slowly. You will find which ones are noisy. I never have luck with hoses or rods to listen.

I am betting on the 3 squirters. If an engine is once turned over with valves stuck closed, the pressure builds in those particular lifters to a high enough degree that the barrels expand and are no longer tight to the plungers. They will squirt and tap with every stroke.

Posted on: 2013/9/2 6:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Here's a photo of a lifter on my 356 that had an excessive oil flow. This turned out to be the lifter that had collapsed and would not 'pump up' causing a loud 'clacking' noise. The lifter was stuck in the lifter body (cam follower) and could not be removed with damaging the lifter body. Had to replace both the hydraulic lifter and lifter body.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Photo taken with engine idling @ 500 rpm.

Posted on: 2013/9/2 10:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Thank you Ross. That makes a lot of sense. I figured that with such variation - from dry to "There she blows" that it must be a clue. I just don't have enogh knowledge & experience to know what it meant I'll put the stethoscope to it this afternoon but I'm betting with you on the squirters.
Thanks again.

Posted on: 2013/9/2 10:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
JD, your picture and comments say it all. Moral of the story is never crank over or start an engine (esp. one with hydraulic lifters) which has been in long storage or in doubtful condition without first determining that all the valves are free which is simple enough to do, just a valve spring compressor is required.

Posted on: 2013/9/2 10:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Thank you JD, that picture of the 'blowen" lifter looks very, very familiar. Too familiar I should say. When I check the engine this afternoon I'm thinking Ross's "squirters" and your look a likes are going to match up. I just hope mine aren't as damaged as yours turrned out to be.

Posted on: 2013/9/2 10:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Thank you JD, that picture of the 'blowen" lifter looks very, very familiar. Too familiar I should say. When I check the engine this afternoon I'm thinking Ross's "squirters" and your look a likes are going to match up. I just hope mine aren't as damaged as yours turrned out to be.

Posted on: 2013/9/2 10:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
JD, your picture and comments say it all. Moral of the story is never crank over or start an engine (esp. one with hydraulic lifters) which has been in long storage or in doubtful condition without first determining that all the valves are free which is simple enough to do, just a valve spring compressor is required.

All too true! I'm hoping mine aren't as damaged as JD's as I really hadn't planed on this turning out to be THAT big of a project. However we'l soon find out.
I had planned to try starting the engine on my other '51 before the cold weather comes. Guess what I'm going to do first!

Posted on: 2013/9/2 10:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Plans being what they are (subject to change without notice) I didn't get back to the valves on my '51 until today. First off, I put the stethoscope to the lifter castings and most of the "squirters" were noisy. To be exact, the seven center lifters were making noise to a greater or lesser extent while the four on either side were quiet. That means the intake and exhaust valves of cylinders 1 & 2 as well as 7 & 8 are quiet. The others.....

I next hooked up a pressure gauge to the lifter tubing and low and behold I've got 40 lbs going to the lifters. Evidently, I reversed the "T" so that the restricter is serving the filter. I know that the valve galley is supposed to be 5 lbs - not 40. Could 35 lbs too much oil pressure be the cause of my problem? If I remember right, It sounded like the valves were quieter after I did that but I won't bet the car on it.

Thoughts please guys?

Posted on: 2013/9/4 17:28
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved