Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
221 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 220

CartRich, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Unidentified brackets
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Warren Jones
See User information
Guys, I seek your assistance once again. When I purchased my 56 400, it was dismantled down to a shell by a previous owner. Most of the parts came on boxes. I have the two brackets shown in the photo and do not know what they are or where they go, or even if they are actually from the car. They both have the letter 'R' stamped on them. Can anyone identify what they are? Thanks. Warren.

Attach file:

jpg  (42.51 KB)
940_52231c5e90dbb.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/9/1 5:54
 Top  Print   

Re: Unidentified brackets
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Bumper braces or maybe steering column supports. I'll go with bumper braces. Most likely front bumper.

Posted on: 2013/9/1 6:06
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Warren Jones
See User information
Thanks. Rear bumper is assembled and on the car and the front one's assembled ready to go... I don't think I've missed anything, but will have another look to see if they have a place on the bumpers. I originally thought they might be brackets under the dash somewhere but am yet to find a home for them...

Posted on: 2013/9/1 7:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
having taken every inch of my 55 custom apart, I don't remember seeing that part on the car anywhere.

my steering column support is visible...i just went out and looked....its not that.

Posted on: 2013/9/1 8:35
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Warren Jones
See User information
Thanks Henry. I'm running out of ideas. Can't find them in the parts book illustrations nor can I see them on my 56 Clipper... It's possible they aren't even off the car, but they came in the boxes with all the other parts. Maybe someone else has some ideas...

Posted on: 2013/9/2 5:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim in Boone
See User information
Guesses only, never had a 56 and my 55 was 50 years ago.

What about braces, firewall to dash or firewall to radio or under hood, firewall to fender. The angle of the ends make them look like they are to reinforce a corner. Jim

Posted on: 2013/9/2 7:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I think Jim is correct. They look like the braces that support the steering column.

Posted on: 2013/9/2 8:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
V8 steering column brace is a single piece in sort of a lazy U shape. Don't remember there being two pieces anywhere under the dash.

What is the approximate length and width. Those appear to mount to something at an angle and maybe to keep some sheet metal from flexing. If anyone has a hardtop with the quarter window area accessible maybe worth a look in that area.

Posted on: 2013/9/2 8:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The brace across the square opening below the quarter window is only braced in the convertible and it is a straight brace.

Posted on: 2013/9/2 10:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Could they have anything to do with the front seat track(s)?

Posted on: 2013/9/2 11:12
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved