Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
134 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 134

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

painting engine while in car?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
How hard would it be to paint a 22nd series Custom 8 engine while it's still in the car and make it as good as possible without pulling it out?

Posted on: 2013/9/4 22:55
 Top  Print   

Re: painting engine while in car?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

pcyco13
See User information
It's not hard to do the actual painting. What is hard is doing the prep work. Cleaning, masking and taping is tedious. I use acyrlic enamel if I can't get engine enamel in the correct shade. Any automotive paint store can match the color if you provide a sample.
Just be sure to mask EVERYTHING! Overspray will find any uncovered area. Try using heavy disposable dropcloths and cover the whole vehicle.

Posted on: 2013/9/5 5:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
You don't have to spray it. I put it on with a brush. Of course, it doesn't look perfect. If you're making a show car, than spray painting me be better, especially for the cylinder head, oil pan and valve cover(s).

Posted on: 2013/9/5 7:47
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
If you go that route use plenty of aluminum foil, it is great for forming around hoses and wires, just scrunch it around these things, paint away and then pull it off and discard.
Remember:there is no such thing as overspray, the correct technical term is "undermask".

Posted on: 2013/9/5 8:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, with some care it's possible to get a very commendable engine paint job with the engine in the car. As has been pointed out, cleaning the surfaces and masking is the hardest part. I'd remove as many accessories as possible, the generator, starter, distributor, oil filter, hoses, carb linkage, etc. I'd even think about removing the manifolds and then using Eastwood's high temp SS manifold paint on the exhaust manifold - upon heating it will attain the appearance of fresh cast iron. While the generator, starter, distributor are off the car, they can be more easily detailed separately.

Use the spray enamel for the smoothest surfaces like valve covers, oil pan, etc. though if you thin the brush-on enamel a bit, on the rough cast surfaces you likely won't see the brush strokes. Removing the passenger side inner fender will make it much easier to do that side of the engine.

Posted on: 2013/9/5 8:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
+2 on the aluminum foil! Great tool, cheap and reusable!

Posted on: 2013/9/5 17:50
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved