Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
104 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 103

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Positive Ground?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Bellefeuille
See User information
Howdy,
I just took ownership of a '55 Clipper Super and the guy who sold it to me delivered it on a trailer.
When he tried to drive it off the trailer he said that the accelerator pump needed to be replaced. Fair enough.
He did get it started and drove it into my garage with a little difficulty 'cuz it kept stalling. Later, when we were doing the paperwork, he told me that on a hot day, the brake lights come on by themselves. I then asked him if the negative ground was switched and that the car was positive ground. He said nope that's negative earth , negative ground.He also said that it hadn't been modified to negative ground. I'm pretty sure that it is positive ground but he was so nice to deliver the car that I didn't want to make waves. Would hooking the battery up wrong cause hard starting and the brake lights to come on??
The car, by the way, does need plenty of work and I'm anxious to get going on it. I'm looking forward to using this website and its wealth of info.
Thanks everyone!
55 clipper guy

Posted on: 2008/7/27 7:48
 Top  Print   

Re: Positive Ground?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Congrats on your acquisition.

Accelerator pump problems are not uncommon if a car has sat unused for a very long time. It could be that the leather cup has simply dried out and shrunk a bit. It may only need to be soaked in gas and gently stretched with dull, flat-bladed tool. Otherwise, a rebuild of the carb may be in order - not a difficult task for the DIYer.

All 55th Series cars were originally designed and produced with positive ground electrical systems, but it is not uncommon for them to be converted to negative ground - especially to make use of modern 12V accessories. I've not done that conversion myself as I sold my one '55 years ago and only have '56 models now. I'm sure others will chime in with their experience on this - and any caveats.

I'm not sure what effect, if any, that changing to negative ground would have on starting the engine, but it should have no effect on the brake lights.

As originally equipped, the brake light switch is pressure-activated. When the fluid gets hot, pressure goes up, but with the pedal in the released position, I believe the residual check valve (in the master cylinder outlet fitting) maintains just enough pressure to keep the seals seated. Sounds like the brake hydraulic system in your car needs a through inspection and service - if not a complete overhaul.

Posted on: 2008/7/27 8:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe it is accepted that the spark has reduced efficiency if the coil is backwards. If the battery was switched but not the leads on the coil, then perhaps that could contribute a bit to your starting. I'd lean toward getting the carburetor, plugs etc up to condition first however and see if the hard starting persists.

The hydraulic brake switches are known to fail occasionally but Brian is right that the brakes should be gone through. I think that residual valve keeps about 5 lbs pressure in the lines and it's possible that it's not releasing properly. There was a thread on the AACA Packard forum from another 55 clipper owner with that exact problem. I don't recall seeing what his solution was so possibly a search there will provide information.

If your car now has or you decide to use silicone fluid, then I strongly suggest you consider switching the hydraulic to a mechanical switch. The silicone destroys the older switches but the symptom there is usually no brake lights. There are several ways of making the change, some of which are on site here. If your car has the torsion level, NOS 3 terminal switches are expensive but there are alternatives.

Posted on: 2008/7/27 9:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
I agree with others who have responded to you.
I'm not sure if later cars breaks are adjusted at the master cylinder as the earlier ones. But if they are, it could be a simple temporary fix is that someone simply adjusted the shaft too tight. My 49 had the problem. When it was cold the breaks worked properly. But, when the fluid got hot after driving the master cylinder was unable to activate the release valve. Mine was so far out of adjustment that it began to apply the breaks, not just the light switch. Just back off the adjusting nuts on the shaft going into the master cylinder and check if that lets the lights go out. I don't recommend this as a final solution, unless the breaks are newly rebuilt and are known to be in good condition. But, it could eliminate a problem while you are restoring the cars other components.

Posted on: 2008/7/27 12:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
49ackard brings up a very good point. If you have regular brakes by all means check freeplay.

If you have power brakes, while there is no adjustment as such, something could be preventing the piston from retracting far enough to tip the compensator valve off port and relieving the pressure. Bunched up carpet, misalignment, weak spring, corroded vacuum cylinder all come to mind.

Posted on: 2008/7/27 13:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Bellefeuille
See User information
Thanks Everybody!
I remember that the man who sold the car to me said that the previous owner told him that he had recently replaced the master cylinder, so it could be that the shaft is too tight.
You have all given me lots to chew on.
This is a great place to hangout.
I'll post some photos when I get the chance.

Posted on: 2008/7/27 19:00
 Top  Print   

Re: Positive Ground? a new wrinkle
Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Bellefeuille
See User information
Hello again,
I was wondering if the ground on the Clipper was still Positive so I checked out the generator.
It's an Auto-Lite with the serial number GJD 6001A 12J.
Am I any closer to finding out?
I read on the Allexpert site that the Auto Lite is a ticking time bomb..is that true?
Thanks as always for your help.
55clipperguy

Posted on: 2008/7/31 18:55
Paul
1955 Clipper Super

"Your fate is just your destiny when you do not try." Cosy Sheridan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Did you read the tag incorrectly, the Autolite generator for a 55 is a GJC 6001A. As far as their being "a time bomb", I'd say you got some bad advice. You do need to put some oil in the oilers occasionally, and perhaps once in a lifetime of driving you may have to have new brushes put in, but other than that you should never have any problems with the generator.

Posted on: 2008/7/31 19:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
I read on the Allexpert site that the Auto Lite is a ticking time bomb..is that true?

I've also heard that the Packard Ultramatic was the worse automatic transmission in history. Pure and utter BS. Every mechanical device will fail without proper maintenance, no matter who or how it was made, or how old it is.

To put this into perspective, I have a 1909 Elgin B.W. Raymond 19J 18s pocket watch that keeps near perfect time, as close as a digital clock nearly. It loses about 1 second a week. It's almost 100 years old, yet still keeps great time. It's been well maintained for the 99 years it's been around, and it shows. Maintain your Packard properly, and she'll reward you in kind.

Posted on: 2008/8/1 0:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Bellefeuille
See User information
[quote]
Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Did you read the tag incorrectly, the Autolite generator for a 55 is a GJC 6001A.quote]

You are correct, now the question is, is this a positive ground??
Thanks for your help!

Posted on: 2008/8/1 8:43
Paul
1955 Clipper Super

"Your fate is just your destiny when you do not try." Cosy Sheridan
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved