Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
121 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 10 »

V8 Pistons
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The subject of pistons for the V8 Packards gets occasional exposure here and over at AACA, and while at the Eastern Packard Club picnic last weekend I found quite a bit of time to chat with Dan Kanter about this and other topics. Dan mentioned that he has given thought to reproducing the original-style autothermic strut pistons for the V8s (as he has done for the 288, 327 and 356 engines), but measured by the number of requests they get for V8 pistons, there isn't yet enough demand to make it worthwhile.

I asked Dan if he minded if I post his comment here and he said "sure", and that he'd like to collect data on which bore sizes and oversizes are most desired. So if you're inclined to want an alternative to the current cast pistons, we should somehow get our comments to Dan. Post them here and I'll pass them along, or otherwise get your needs to Dan at Kanter Bros.

I'd buy a set of 4-1/8 + 0.030.

Posted on: 2008/7/30 15:28
 Top  Print   

Re: V8 Pistons
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
personally i would rather he do this for us V8s, i know i am going to be needing a set soon and with all this talk on here about different brands...it would be nice to have one that was right, i mean really right. i mean....really right.

seriously.....really done right. ;0)

thanks.

Posted on: 2008/7/30 17:18
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Owen, if Dan would do this I would buy a set (.030 over) of
4 1/8" bore for a 374 cu in. engine just to help sell the idea.
Randy (under the radar) Berger

Posted on: 2008/7/30 17:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Cli55er: I've seen Dan's 282 and 288 pistons, they are just beautifully manufactured. But if you want to add any momentum to this movement, you need to say what size you'd be interested in, which original bore (or motor size) and what oversize.

I'll delete this message after you've had a chance to see it.

Posted on: 2008/7/30 18:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
I'd definitely be interested in a set.

Posted on: 2008/7/30 20:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
FWIW, put me down for four sets of 4.125" +.030"

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2008/7/30 21:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Mr. Pushbutton, please add the bore and oversize (or std) you'd be interested in.

Posted on: 2008/7/30 22:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Oh, sorry. 4.125" +.030"

'56 senior 374 Cu.In. .030" over

Posted on: 2008/7/31 15:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Well, I know it's early yet but somehow I expected more interest; I'll let this ride for a while but I'm beginning to think that Dan was right, not much demand. Looks like only 7 sets (Jack (4), Randy, Mr. Pushbutton and myself).

Posted on: 2008/7/31 17:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
1. i don't have $100 a piece for 8 pistons right now, so i couldn't buy anything right now.
2. i have not arrived to that point in my resotration yet.
3. i have no idea what size i would want.

i guess i would want it to be the stock size, but i don't know what kind of machine work is going to be needed on the motor. it has only just been taken apart.

i would like to bore it out to at least a 374 for a bit more power, but i would also like to keep it at 352 as that is original size. i also don't know much about all this piston sizes, etc....so i would have to rely on what the machine shop would tell me i would need after they get done with the block.

i will say, though, that if they were offered in the correct format and built correctly, i would want a set for sure, but it would have to be either the stock 352 size or go up to the 374. i almost say leave it at 352 so i have room to bore out if something happens one day, God forbid. if i go straight to a 374 i will have less to work with if something were to happen.

anyways.....that is my take.

i was kinda hoping someone would do something about making these pistons correctly by the time i got to rebuilding the motor...if not i would use what was available i suppose.

later,

Hank

Posted on: 2008/7/31 17:22
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 ... 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved