Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 154

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Question about cars converted to be more exotic
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Ran across this offering--seems like a lovely car--but the fact that it was not originally what it now is is perplexing to me. Is it seen as the car it now is, or the car it started as?

Quote:
1940 PACKARD 180 FORMAL SEDAN TOWN CAR Of the 76,927 vehicles Packard produced in 1940, the ultra-luxurious 180-Series cars numbered only 1,900. Of those 1,900, only two Formal Sedan Town Cars are known to exist. This incredible car comes from the collection of Jim Hollingsowrth, the author of "1940 Packard's," and preeminent Packard expert. Upon acquiring this car in 1977, Mr. Hollingsworth decided to recreate the storied Rollston conversions of long past and transform this Formal Sedan into an All Weather Cabriolet, otherwise known as the Town Car. The painstaking work was performed by Jimi Ala at a cost of $80,000 and upon its completion, Mr. Hollingsworth was satisfied that his end product was indistinguishable from the original Rollston cars. The car comes with documentation of the work performed and signed affidavit by Mr. Hollingsworth. This is one of the most extensively documented and pedigreed Packard's available anywhere. Please contact one of our expert sales consultants for more information. They will be happy to give you a complete walk-around, supply you with a more detailed description, and answer any questions you may have. Bid with confidence - for over 40 years Daniel Schmitt & Co. has built an unrivaled reputation by uniting the world's finest motorcars with those who treasure them.

How can you seriously talk pedigree when this isn't original, no matter who had the work done, or where?

Posted on: 2013/9/26 16:30
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: Question about cars converted to be more exotic
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
You can't. Just salesman blather.

Although, as the ad says, the car was done right, by THE expert on 1940 Packards. They've come down quite a bit on the price since they first started advertising it for sale. I think they started at around $120,000.

Posted on: 2013/9/26 16:48
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
It is too bad because I think the 1940 club sedan is tops in looks. But if you want a real one I can point in the right direction.

Posted on: 2013/9/26 18:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
It does beg the question: on exactly what date did modifications to 1940 Packards cease to become period rebodies and instead take on the label of modern new coachwork? Think of famous rebodies such as the Duesenberg Graber Victoria and R-R PII Darrin Town Car. What if Darrin had finished his Town Car not in 1938 but 1939? Or 1949? 1959? What if a Packard owner took her car to the dealer several years after she purchased it so that she could enjoy important updates in brakes, etc.?

Posted on: 2013/9/27 14:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
What if someone today doesn't like the side mounts on his Packard and removes them, or doesn't have them and adds them? Or wants a different hood ornament? Or different color interior or exterior?

Where is the line?

Posted on: 2013/9/27 14:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
They 're only original once.

Posted on: 2013/9/27 15:04
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
Then there are no original Packards anymore. All have changed from the pristine condition they enjoyed when they rolled off the assembly line. If not by human nature then by mother nature.

Posted on: 2013/9/27 15:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
I remember Jim telling me how he took many many photos of the other 2 town cars he used to model his car after.

He said that EVERYTHING was done exactly, except he had 1 or maybe 3 screws that were different so as it would be identifiable from the originals.

That was a nice car.

Posted on: 2013/9/27 15:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
The opening question was one of pedigree, or more specifically quality of pedigree and the importance of originality in same. There have been instances where a car's value has been enhanced by parting with originality and pursuing a rebody. The Duesenberg Graber Victoria started out as, I think, a LWB Murphy Town Car built in 1930 or 1934 and was modified by Graber in 1935 or 1937 to be a SWB Victoria of modern (for the times) design. Today it is celebrated as one of autodom's great achievements. The car has a unique pedigree that is just as high as the original-bodied car, if not higher. Why? In part because the design is fabulous. Were it a poor design many would have probably questioned the pedigree.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=635&q=duesenberg+graber&oq=duesenberg+graber&gs_l=img.3...1459.6598.0.6818.17.9.0.8.8.0.83.563.9.9.0....0...1ac.1.27.img..3.14.625.q4x08x1_mps#imgdii=_

Posted on: 2013/9/27 15:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
I do agree with patgreen's challenge of pedigree in the advertisement of the Packard. The original Packard with the Town Car design had a certain pedigree, let's call it pedigree #1. Mr. Hollingsworth's knowledge and attention to detail carries its own pedigree and, combined with the build quality gives his car an impressive pedigree, let's call it pedigree #2. The problem is that the ad is implying that his car has pedigree #1. One might argue that they are close but nobody can argue that they are equal. That said, sounds like a fabulous car.

Posted on: 2013/9/27 16:19
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved