Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
223 user(s) are online (158 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 219

RCJ56, tsherry, Don B, didatelogg, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

greetings from Hershey....1929 tool question
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wogec
See User information
Hello everyone,
Overcast and occasionally drizzy at Hershey...can anyone who may have access to the Reedy and Schaub book post a pic of the tools for a 1929 enclosed car...there is substantial "debate" as to what is the correct manufacturer.

Posted on: 2013/10/10 10:03
 Top  Print   

Re: greetings from Hershey....1929 tool question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I have the Reedy & Shaub book but what you're asking for isn't in there. There are copies of engineering blueprints for various Packard tools from various vintages but they don't list the source or manufacturer. The Packard parts book list tools by part number and you could cross these numbers to some of the prints in the Reedy/Shaub book but again, they won't identify the maker of the tool.

I'll be in Hershey tomorrow AM, hope the weather is better than the forecast.

Posted on: 2013/10/10 12:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Tools were made by VLCHEK
http://home.comcast.net/~alloy-artifacts/vlchek-story.html

Posted on: 2013/10/10 15:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Packardbarry, thanks for that information. I have what I believe to be most of the original tools with my 34 and I'm going to check them for the markings.

Posted on: 2013/10/10 16:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Interesting Note is VLCHEK removed their logo from the open ends in PACKARD rolls yet the hammer had a VLCHEK Sticker on the handle. Figure that one out.
Almost the same thing for the jacks used on the '32-6 12s. They were purchased from WALKER and did not have the WALKER name plate as other WALKER jacks of the same model.

Posted on: 2013/10/13 9:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jimw
See User information
Agree with Packardbary. I have an originnal 1929 tool roll with all of the tools and the wrenches do not have the VLChek logo, but are otherwise identical to other VLChek wrenches I have. The hammer has a yellow and red decal with the VLChek name on it.

Jim
1929 640 Phaeton.

Posted on: 2013/10/13 20:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wogec
See User information
Hi Jim,

Would you be willing to post photos of your 1929 tool roll? I met Karl Krouch at Hershey (many thanks to Ray Tennyson for the introduction!). One more priceless example of the value of this website: without Ray's introduction I would never have been aware of Karl as a source for tools. This site, and the folks who contribute are a continuing source of great information. My thanks to all of you. I digress...

Anyway, Karl has an impressive collection of tools, and what appeared to be convincing documentation in the form of the 1929 Packard Parts List, and cutouts of the tools, along with an impressive knowledge. He took the time to educate a newbie and gave me as much individual attention as he could afford, as he was continually in demand for his expertise. I am pleased to say that I was able to pick up many of the tools from the kit...some of which I passed on, at a fair price.

As for the rain...it was impressive. I have to concur with other posters that most vendors gave up after Thursday. I braved conditions on Friday morning only to find vendors gone...or packing up to leave. The guys at Max Merritt joked about how they were waiting for a break in the weather so they could pack the van...

Overall, my first visit to Hershey maybe wasn't as valuable as it could have been, but I learned a ton, met great people and made invaluable contacts...

Posted on: 2013/10/14 13:34
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved