Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 114

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Optima Battery
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I am considering an Optima-type battery for one of my non-Packards. Is there any downside to a 12-volt type? I have heard that precautions must be taken when charging the 6-volt type, especially if it is fully discharged. Apparently it does not tolerate high amperage.

Note: The car is my hot rod and the battery only has to start the car. Only electrical are lights and horn. Reason for considering an Optima is the battery is located in back of seat and next to gas tank. Battery is well mounted, but don't like the idea of a wet cell in that area.

Thanks

Posted on: 2013/10/20 11:10
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Re: Optima Battery
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
They are the same design. Just 6 cells instead of 3 cells. Just make sure you get a Red Optima (Starter Type), instead of a Yellow Optima (Deep Cycle).

Posted on: 2013/10/20 13:48
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Re: Optima Battery
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Bought an Optima Red Top from Battery Plus for $30 less than the same battery from AutoZone and got to keep my 12-volt wet cell with no core charge which was worth another $15. There are precautions to take when recharging, but I think it is a safer battery to have behind the seat next to the gas tank.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/10/20 21:43
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved