Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
227 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 227

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

What can be done to restore your patent plate?
Home away from home
Home away from home

bigmoparjeff
See User information
When I'm done with the engine bay, everything will look real nice with the exception of one item, the patent plate. The salt air on the California coast really did a job on it, and it looks terrible. Has anyone had theirs restored? I had been planning on buying one of the reproductions that was for sale on ebay, but just realized that it's the only place that the VIN number is stamped on the car, so it doesn't seem like it would be a good idea to replace it with a duplicate.

Jeff

Attach file:

jpg  (65.60 KB)
5012_526603672c1d4.jpg 900X675 px

Posted on: 2013/10/21 23:48
 Top  Print   

Re: What can be done to restore your patent plate?
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Jeff, Maybe the folks who make the duplicate plates could restore yours, worth a try.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/10/22 10:40
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I think you are pretty much going to have to buy a replacement and re-stamp the numbers.

Maybe keep the original in the glovebox if an issue was ever raised.

Posted on: 2013/10/22 12:45
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
For certain keep the original plate with car. Cars, especially more valuable ones, with repro patent plates can and often do raise questions about origin and authenticity and even having an "original" plate with the car isn't proof that it belonged to that car, but it helps.

As far as "stamping" the vehicle number, I suggest you find a trophy engraver to engrave it and not stamp it - some of these guys have fonts very close to the originals especially with regards to I (1), 6 and 9. If your plate is one that also shows the selling dealer and date, though Packard offered a stamp set and single-piece dies with dealer's names, all manner of methods were employed by dealers from elegant to scratching with a nail. But try you best to match the VN font at the least if you go with a repro plate.

Posted on: 2013/10/22 13:08
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Schmick
See User information
I would recommend you obtain another plate from the folks at Under Cover Upholstery and Paint, Inc. They offer some interesting products.

http://www.ucuap.com/Products_PackardParts.html

I ordered a plate for my 23rd series a couple years ago, and it was an exact replica. Any decent jeweler will be able to duplicate the Packard font. If you do order from these folks, specify that you do not want the screw holes pre-drilled. They sent me a plate where this had been done, but Murphy's law quickly proved that they did not line up exactly with the holes in my cowl. They quickly supplied me a second plate without holes, and I took care of that task myself. I couldn't be happier. I have kept the old one in my glove compartment, ready for inspection, just as Kev suggested.

Posted on: 2013/10/22 13:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bigmoparjeff
See User information
Thanks, I'll check that place out and see if I can get a new plate. It doesn't look like the dealer ever put anything on the plate, as all I can see is the VIN, so that's the only thing that will need to be put on the new plate. My VIN is only one digit off from the Briggs body number. When I first noticed the mismatch I was a bit concerned, but then I read the FAQ and learned that is was normal for them to be different.

If someone in the future wants to restore the original plate, they could copy the graphics off of the reproduction one onto the original. The original could probably be cleaned up and nickel plated to get it ready for silk screening. I probably could have had that done, but now there isn't enough time before the car has to leave.

Jeff

Posted on: 2013/10/23 10:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There are many vendors for the patent plate reproductions, for all I know they all originate with the same source.

I forget what year your vehicle was, but if it's an early 22nd series there was a transition that occurred about late December 1947 or early 1948; the earlier style plate had spaces for the selling dealer and date of delivery, the later style substituted spaces for paint and trim codes.

And yes, you're correct about the Briggs versus VNs, the finished cars weren't necessarily assembled in the same order that Briggs built the bodies. Pre-1951 it's actually a bit rare that they do match.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 10:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
The originals were stamped at the plant with a machine, In my youth I operated such a machine from time to time. The one I used was made by GT Schmidt company, and was actually made in the USA (giving away my age here). They make finer characters than your hand-held stamps that you whack with a hammer.
I have seen many a restored Packard with data plates marked with the hammer stamps, most of them whacked pretty hard, to the point of distorting the metal.
Owen-Dyneto's suggestion to take it to a trophy engraver is the best thing going today, I don't think any of us want to invest in a Schmidt machine just to do one plate!

here is the Schmidt machine website:
http://www.gtschmidt.com/nameplate-marking-manual-detail-presses.shtml

Posted on: 2013/10/23 12:47
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved