Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
232 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 232

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 327 Manifold Mock-up
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Believe me, I've thought about most of these options at least the ones I'm aware of including the diesel. I'm a two turbo diesel owner. There's some primal urge developing to recoup my youth and it's lack of HP. I put a performance device on my 6.4L twin turbo and it's like a Ferrari, on "high" setting - too fast for the road. I guess that ignited the urge. Always a drag strip observer and never a participant, now wishing to participate... I've mulled over leaving it stock too. Maybe it's the wrong car for me, but it's captured my eye. I could've bought a new performance car that looks just like everyone elses but that didn't favor. Actually the 288 pushes it along very well. One system upgrade leads to another... So you have to set a budget, both in cost and degree of modification. What would a 50's hot rodder with modern day parts have done it is how I'm approaching.

Posted on: 2013/10/29 8:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I waded thru the 30 pages but found some of the pictures missing, locked, or something and about a years worth of the storyline missing?
I admire ingenuity to a point. Gotta know one's limitations.

Posted on: 2013/10/30 16:38
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

eightinline
See User information
I agree with David, it is your car so do what you want. My thought is it is easy to get excited about finishing the project before it is even started. That is something I fight because of time constraints with work and a 1 year old.

Like everyone I went looking for "something different" to put in my hot rod and found an engine called a Thunderbolt. By chance I had told my wife a while before that I wanted to put a thunderbolt on the side of my hotrod somewhere and when I tripped across and engine called that my search was over.

Do something you will be proud of.

Posted on: 2013/11/1 10:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I don't have a patience problem, but my 92 year old father. et al, keeps asking if it's done yet... I think the right thing will find me just like this vehicle did. Add V-10 viper, v 12 ferrari, to the considerations listing, but finding an affordable one... I put an inquiry into a turbo professional for the straight one.
That's why I elected to get this in driving condition, drive it as is, before I decide what needs to change. Once you starting chopping it's too late to turn back or find out something doesn't work or fit. Explore the options, then choose the best one. Design it and implement.

Posted on: 2013/11/1 10:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
If you end up making a straight 8 exhaust manifold and whatnot to make two the same and sell an extra let me know ,I put a dual intake and am bolting a plate to the original cast iron exhaust heat stove hole to be able to use the ordinal iron exhaust , but a straight eight header would be cool!

Posted on: 2013/11/20 18:11
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

eightinline
See User information
Steve,
I am going to start a blog in the projects section so you can follow. It may be a little while as I build the car so I am a bit reluctant to even mention it. I did not plan on making a "bolt into place" set of headers but it interests me.

There is a lot of considerations to this topic and I look forward to working on it. Using the stock mounting studs may not be enough when trying to build a header that is not as sturdy as the single piece of iron that makes up the stock manifold. The only reason I mention this is that getting it to work without adding some bolts may be a challenge. I am sure this is stating the obvious to the experts.

It looks like a person could add some studs to the extreme front and rear of the block to help seal things up.

Lynn

Posted on: 2013/11/27 10:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I looked at that supercharger one, but there is nothing about the output on a dyno.

Maybe ether injection. Get it spinning fast and start feeding the ether. I've seen that done on diesels to the point where the motor goes into runaway and the entire block explodes.

Posted on: 2013/11/27 15:43
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved