Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
65 user(s) are online (33 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 65

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

valve guides
Just popping in
Just popping in

waynej
See User information
Does anyone have any helpful ideas about removing seized exhaust valve guides in a 51 Packard 327? I've been using the correct guide driver but the guides won't budge at all. I'm worried about damaging the top end of the guide or cracking the block. Engine is in chassis.

Posted on: 2013/11/6 19:04
 Top  Print   

Re: valve guides
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
I'm no expert but I thought you were supposed to use a bolt through the guide to draw it out and the installing tool to drive in the new one.

If you use a bolt grind down the nut small enough to pass thru the valve guide hole (same OD as the guide or smaller)

Posted on: 2013/11/6 20:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Wayne, if you are sure that you are using a compatible driver then make sure the hammer you are using is heavy enough for the task. Not saying you are one of them but some folks fail to match the hammer weight to the job at hand. too light of a hammer will require a harder blow and make the guides feel like they are seized when they are actually just a standard .002+/- press fit. Drive each one down halfway and break it off with a chisel then drive the other half out. Stash the new guides in the freezer or on dry ice before installing and they will drive in much easier. You will need to use some sort of depth gauge to insure that you are installing them at the correct level as the guides you removed.

Rusty is correct in that the method he suggested is one way to remove valve guides in some engines but you have to use a sleeve that is at least the same length as the guide itself and slightly larger in inside diameter so that the O.D. of the guide will pull through the sleeve. This method may or may not work on the 327 but takes longer.

Posted on: 2013/11/7 7:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
A good air chisel/hammer is what the pros use. There is a mandrel for each guide ID and the air hammer is used to drive them in and out.

I've got a Snap-on PH3050 which is guaranteed to move 'em.

jack vines

Posted on: 2013/11/7 13:03
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved