Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
204 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 203

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1948 Deluxe 2262 engine vacuum lines
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
So - my next question - trying to check out my windshield wipers - took the cable control loose from the wiper motor -the slide that the cable was hooked to, moves easily, but the control cable does not move with inside knob. Soaking it in WD 40- hope it will loosen up. My question, if I decide to remove the wiper motor- does it just slide out - and does it have to be put back a certain way ? Thanks

Posted on: 2013/11/18 2:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Motor is held on with two screws. If you refer to plate 157 in parts manual, item 31.37913 and all the rest of the mechanism it connects to stays in the car.

To replace the motor, as long as the part on the car is not messed with it should only be able to go back on one way. You can put the blades in the parked condition or any position you can work with. Then turn the paddle on the motor so that it can mate into the part already on the car. Once turned so angles match, motor should just slide into position.

Posted on: 2013/11/18 9:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Thanks - I will first see if motor works by moving the slide manually. I guess that turns on the vacuum right ? Hope I don't have to remove the control cable to free it up. The motor may be gummed up inside too -

Posted on: 2013/11/18 9:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The slide should work the motor. Typically the slide is sitting slightly away from one end. Moving the slide from it's off point toward one side of the motor will start motor moving. Moving the slide toward the other side will stop the motor and provide vacuum to the extra port that would be used for a washer.

If the wipers do not work at all it could be the motor or it could also be a problem with the cables and mechanism inside the car having too much resistance. You will just have to isolate the problem.

Chances are the motor has never seen service in it's life. Seals and parts inside could be well dried or worn. You can try the lubrication mentioned in the service counselor article. That has helped some motors and it might do the trick. There is also the chance motor looks like it's working well off the car but is so worn it can't work under any load. If the mechanical parts of mechanism moves relatively freely by hand then in all probability I would plan on a motor rebuild.

Posted on: 2013/11/18 10:15
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Thanks again Howard - I copied Plate 157 from the parts manual - the same picture is in the 46-50 Service Manual. I was going to start the car -primed the carb - discovered gas leaking out the bottom- will have to tighten some nuts later. Was able to start the car and check the wiper motor. Happy to report the wipers move about 1/3 travel by moving the slide Yea ! So , will keep playing with them and the control cable. But at least I know they can work.

Posted on: 2013/11/18 16:56
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved