Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
242 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 242

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Pa title correction on a 29 626
Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
The hood looks like its from a 740 - doors instead of louvres on the side and a small "spear point" at the front of the swage line. The 740 has a 140.5" wheelbase.
The curved swage line across the rear of the body is 7th series not 6th. Custom and Standard eights are the same in this area.
With 127.5 inch wheelbase an engine number corresponding to 6th Series standard eight, a 740 custom eight hood and remains of a 7th series body I do not not know WTH it is!
In Australia we would call it a "bitsa"
The transmission looks to be Packard but has a larger top cover than that on my standard eight. Could be from the larger custom eight.

Posted on: 2013/11/21 6:11
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

k3nn3th
See User information
Mal, David,
Thanks for the input. I ordered the Turnquist book. Hopefully I can cite some of the facts it contains and at least get it's name correct on the title. Maybe in a year or two I'll have pictures of us blasting out Rt. 30 in Ligonier, past the spot where Fred Duesenberg flipped his SJ in 1932. It's a dead straight stretch of rolling asphalt where the roar of eight open exhaust pipes at full chat would make a dead man smile.

Posted on: 2013/11/21 7:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
See the pic Ken sent me!

Attach file:

jpg  (34.57 KB)
226_528e65107f93d.jpg 577X433 px

Posted on: 2013/11/21 14:55
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Heather Moss
See User information
Hi everyone,
I haven't been looking at Packardinfo for ages as I have a new craze, "Family History research' and it too becomes obsessive.

We have a 1929 626 Packard truck that had been a sedan and was owned by the local car dealer and garage in our town.It was bought brand new in 1929.
When the war broke out the dealers tow truck was confiscated for the war effort which left the two sons who owned the business no option but to cut their Mothers sedan down to make a tow truck. The car would have only been 11-12 years old at that time.
In the early 50s my Father bought this car/truck and made a wooden tray back for it which was then used for shopping and as we had a fruit and grape orchard it was used up and down the rows of fruit trees collecting picked fruit and also carting it to the local town 20 miles away. (dirt roads back then.)
It has 1930 parking lights on the guards, I think you say fenders? But that happened a lot in the Packards that came to Australia, nearly every one we own has something left over from the year before or the following year.
I have a few photos of it and will send one now and have to look up the most recent ones tomorrow.

My brother owns it now and has been collecting everything it needs to make it back to the original sedan. I like it the way it is.
This photo would be early 50s as Mum is holding me and John is in the truck. I'll try sending another of me and the dog beside the truck. Pity the photos don't show the back.
Heather

Attach file:

jpg  (44.53 KB)
159_52a47d6acd99a.jpg 800X539 px

jpg  (44.78 KB)
159_52a47fc630d14.jpg 553X800 px

Posted on: 2013/12/8 9:21
Heather M
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tfee
See User information
Ken, I'm rebuilding a 1930 Packard 733 right now, let me know if you have any questions concerning the chassis. That's as far as I've gotten. I plan on putting a woody body on my car because the sedan body is toast. Your car is in even worse shape than mine was and that's saying something. If you get that back on the road I would love to buy you a beer. Somewhere on this website is a build blog of my car if you want to see a 733 in pieces.
Todd

Posted on: 2013/12/10 20:23
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

k3nn3th
See User information
Todd,
I'm interested in seeing your chassis. Especially if it is the same as a 726. I do not know their DNA. How do I access those pictures?
Ken

Posted on: 2013/12/16 8:57
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

k3nn3th
See User information
Heather, I have to admit that I share your misgivings about the "right thing" for the car. There weren't so many of these ever built in the first place and many were used to distruction, scrapped, or both. The ones that were given a new life as a working vehicle tell an important part of their story. In some ways, more important than the life in service of wealthy individuals, they became the domestic "war horses" of that era. That said, I'm leaning toward an open wheeled speedster. A third life if you like.

Posted on: 2013/12/16 9:32
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved