Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
203 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 202

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: swapping motors?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Keep warm Dave. It's was 37 and raining here and I had to stop working in the garage it was too cold. I'm staying put, snow back in OH. 4some has suspended playing golf.
I'm looking at a new parallel option, possibly a second car, one nice orig, one modified, don't ask me why. Kinda soft on the old gals now. Things are progressing. Reasonable GTO's are like hens teeth, but I keep looking.

Posted on: 2013/11/27 17:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Read the paragraph under "weight"
http://thunderv12.com/dimensions

There's at least one out there and I'm beat. ha, HA, HAAA!
Torque monster envy...

Posted on: 2013/11/30 9:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't have much interest in non-stock Packards, but if you had both the ambition and the money, an interesting choice would be the Ryan-Falconer engine that was to have powered the aborted 1999 Packard revival by Gulickson. You might even be able to find a set of the Packard-logo valve covers that were made for it.

http://www.falconerengines.com/falconer_v12.php?v12=main

Posted on: 2013/11/30 10:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
That's was mainly 4 funzies...
I had looked at Falconer V12 several times but, thanks, did not know they were involved in a reincarnation project. Sounds like a wonderful idea in our current look alike car world. But at $65K+ for basic motor, I'm not interested. For that jack, I'd go AMG mercedes V12. U can buy one heck of a fast car for that much alone. My total budget was roughly 2 B = Roush stage 3 Mustang/Zl-1 Camaro.
I'm on the scent of a couple GTO's, so this could be become moot. If that happens, this one will stay stock and be a nice driver/grocery getter/show goer. But it's not out of the question long term to rework the intake and exhaust and put the 327 crank in it, pistons, and do some brightwork/plumbing/linkage work, for show. I already have the basic layout for a period hot rod. The guy that owned this one, had some period add on "items". So I'm trying to period replicate as much as possible.
I saw a post from a guy that has hot rodded many packards and he thinks the 288 is fairly stout out of the box. I drove it down the road and it's peppy but not registered or road worthy yet.
Dave had the best suggestion, one that's been played before and that's get a later Packard V-8. But then you got the rebuild $ money again vs new. There is an earlier(~2005) HOT ROD article of a rat rod with a nice packard straight 8, a guy turbo charged. Quite a piece of machine work, in such a lousy body.

Posted on: 2013/12/2 19:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
There is an earlier(~2005) HOT ROD article of a rat rod with a nice packard straight 8, a guy turbo charged.
If it's the one I saw at Bonneville, he used a Paxton belt driven supercharger in a very well built rod. youtube Packard video

jack vines

Posted on: 2013/12/4 0:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
That's not the one I saw. I found a link on killbillet.com and it had the turbo back by the firewall where the heater core usually is. I'll search again. Also, on HAMB supposedly under hot rod packard but it doesn't come up anymore. I'll have to retrack my search history.
Check out the binder clip on the dash on this one. Either it's holding on the trim or excess weight?

Posted on: 2013/12/5 9:53
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved