Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 155

39Rollson, moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

swapping motors?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
My original quest was for a fastback(FB) w/ a 383 stroker. My back up was a GTO. Then this Packard (FB) found me. I'd love to keep it stock but the torque monster in me, just won't get satisfied. My P/U is ~600 HP/1100ftlbs! I almost pulled the trigger on a BMW V12 for it the other day, kinda a early Packard tribute thing, then I saw a nice stroker with a warranty. So is there anyone out there that has done a BMW V12 swap that can enlighten me, pluses/minuses? Forget the you're crazy, I already know that, stick to the facts! I don't see much issue with fit, until the tranny space. Clock is ticking and got to make up my mind v soon. Once the body goes off to sheet metal land and the plasma gets hot, it's a one way street.

Posted on: 2013/11/20 17:54
 Top  Print   

Re: swapping motors?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
If you are talking about the v12 from an 8 series, I can think of many other bmw motors I would choose.

Posted on: 2013/11/20 18:01
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
If you want a torque monster and liked GTOs, then go with a 455 Pontiac. The B/S is 4.151x4.210 (oversquare) and several guys have swapped Pontiacs into Packards, so it's very doable.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/11/20 18:58
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Hope you have a PhD in electronics. If that doesn't dissuade you, price a set of intake gaskets. I'll leave the promotion of other options to others, but at least please consider maintaining a mostly stock appearance....

Posted on: 2013/11/21 8:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
BMW translation into American english: Bring Money With

Posted on: 2013/11/21 10:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I think the Pontiac 455 is an under square engine if the bore smaller than stroke. Never the less it would be a powerful engine if one is looking for something like that in a Packard.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/11/21 12:19
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
There is another alternate - get a late model Packard V8 and put it in the earlier one. If you drop a 372 ci V8 in it, you will have boatloads of torque (450 foot pounds according to the brochures), a fairly easy swap and you've kept it all Packard. You can pick up a fairly decent 55 Patrician here in Billings for not much money.

Posted on: 2013/11/21 19:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
BMW race motor guy said if you stay pre OBDII, <'95 its alot easier. But you buy a 20+ year old motor of unknown condition and have to rebuild it and it's +$10K just to get it in the door.
No thanks, no sprechen ze Deutsch.
Skip white 383 crate motor with 2 year warranty is leading.
My engine builder died last year. If I do it, it's added timeline. I can do some creative emblem making and it'll say "Packard".
If I had a 455 or a 372, I'd consider, but probably would be building that car instead.
Isn't it a bit cold for a biscuit belly to roam the junk yards in Billings this time of year? We don't even play golf, it's not 70 and sunny.

Posted on: 2013/11/23 20:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
It's a dry cold; only -1 yesterday morning. We warmed up today and hit 38 for a high. They're still playing golf here in Billings, they just have to use orange balls so that they can find them in the snow.....

There are three nice driving Packards available within a 30 minute drive from here. One 54 Patrician, one 55 Patrician and one 55 or 56 Clipper Panama.

Posted on: 2013/11/23 20:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
JW Quote:
I think the Pontiac 455 is an under square engine if the bore smaller than stroke.

You're correct, of course. I don't know what I was thinking/writing.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/11/23 21:53
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved