Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 216

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Torsion Ride Pin
Home away from home
Home away from home

55 NC Clipper
See User information
A little while ago I had posted a few questions on removing the pin to re-level the car. I took the pin out again today and further inspection of the base on the lower control arm. The retainer seat on the lower control arm has a 3/8" high wall, about 1" of this wall has rusted away, the rest of the wall is fine.

Also, pictures have shown that this pin can be taken apart but I tried and there is no movement of either end. I used a hammer to try to hit it apart but no luck. Next, is torch, but I wanted to make sure that it is for positive removable at both top and bottom.
Thanks

bill

I also have pictures but cannot upload them on the computer, they are on my email.

Posted on: 2013/12/8 17:39
 Top  Print   

Re: Torsion Ride Pin
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The ends can be removed. Here's the pertinent instructions from bulletin 55T-37 which suggests you hold the link body in a vise and drive the end off with a blunt chisel. They only remove one end for the problem in the bulletin but the other end can be removed in the same manner.

Attach file:

jpg  (10.80 KB)
209_52a4fc340545b.jpg 544X63 px

jpg  (12.84 KB)
209_52a4fc3f5f6ae.jpg 207X336 px

Posted on: 2013/12/8 18:09
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Torsion Ride Pin
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I often change ends when making longer pins for saggy Packards; in salty climes they can really be stuck.

I lay the pin on its side on the horn of my vise and strike it with a big hammer over the area where the shank of the mushroom head is pressed into the pin body. The bodies are much softer steel than the heads and hammering them will expand the body slightly so the head can be pulled out.

Posted on: 2013/12/8 19:06
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved