Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
236 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 235

Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

leather upholstery option 1937
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bradford B. Owen Jr.
See User information
Does anybody have information or pictures showing how the leather option was done in 1937? I understand any model could have leather and I'd like to do my 115 touring sedan in leather. Did the door panels have leather? I assume the headliner was still wool? Any pictures showing the "tan" and "green" leather options would help! Thanks, Brad

Posted on: 2013/12/9 21:15
 Top  Print   

Re: leather upholstery option 1937
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
At least in the postwar cars it is possible to souse out from the parts book which parts were covered with what when the leather option was chosen. There may be hints in the prewar books.

I plan on putting red leather leather in my 50 Super sedan as it is a listed option, (as was red leatherette). By checking the yard goods I learned that the door panels, seat back, parcel shelf, and headliner were all leatherette, leaving only the seating surfaces in leather. I have in my possession leather-option door panels from 1952 in three different colors, and they are all in leatherette. This of course makes sense, as it is still done that way today and probably was in 37

At the Canandaigua meet I saw a 40 or 41 120 coupe with an original leather interior; I recall it had a napped cloth headliner and leatherette side panels--but that is a long time ago.

Interestingly it seems many manufacturers offered leather and leatherette interiors as options. I have researched a leather interior for my 50 Ambassador Brougham which seems was all leatherette except for the seat cushions.

Studebaker also offered leather, here in an untouched 48 Champion as an example. I love the look.

Attach file:

jpg  (46.74 KB)
618_52a684bf0965c.jpg 800X601 px

Posted on: 2013/12/9 22:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hi 160:

This is a cloudy area. I have personally never seen a sedan optioned in leather. I have seen leather door panels on the 180 Sedan, and seen leather front seating without a division on the senior cars. For senior cars Packard would do anything for a sale and I am surprised that such options were not more popular.

However, if you go to the parts book there are parts listed for leather interiors.

For example: A model 1803 Su8 160 sedan model 1375 has interior parts listed in both leather and cloth.

2262 is a 48-49 four door sedan and the parts book shows both leather and cloth parts.

However, For a 1937 115 touring sedan model 1082 the parts book does not list any parts in leather.

When leather or cloth is an option the parts are labeled as "cloth" or "leather". If there is no option then only the model number is shown.

Don't ask me how they are supposed to look because I have never seen one.

Sorry for the negative conclusion.

Posted on: 2013/12/9 23:34
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bradford B. Owen Jr.
See User information
Thanks Ross for the insight - love the Stude interior!

Posted on: 2013/12/14 12:01
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bradford B. Owen Jr.
See User information
Thanks Tim, I have seen "original" leather options on a 1948 Custom (mine is shadow cloth) and on a 1955 Clipper, but not on 1930 Juniors (except convertibles), but the Packard Club site shows it as an option for Juniors, and I love the luxury of leather, so am considering it. I agree the parts book doesn't show any leather for Juniors, but I also understand that many export and taxi use vehicles had either leather of leatherette. I guess a 115 has so little value that if I do stretch the truth a bit it won't matter much - just want it to look like Packard would have done it!
Brad

Posted on: 2013/12/14 12:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don 37
See User information
On my 1937 138CD 1090 Touring Limo the books show that the passengers compartment had several Broadcloth options whereas the chauffeur compartment is done in leather as standard equipment. Mine has the original interior (although not usable) It is black leather in the front and a tan cloth in the back. I will be redoing it in a grey combination leather front/ cloth rear.

Posted on: 2013/12/14 14:35
1936 and 1937 120's Are what we like best. But we also like all other Packards too.

Don 37'
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved