Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 213

bkazmer, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Packard 1929 640 Runabout
Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
Can anyone advise the correct finish for the metal mouldings on the top of the doors and around the top of the dash on the 640 Runabout (Roadster)?

The salesman data book for the 626/633 models states that this is black on the 7 passenger open car. I assume it is the same on all 626/633 open cars. I do not have access to the data book for the 640 to check whether it is the same.

These mouldings are sometimes wood grained on restored cars to match the dash which may be correct for the 640 however I suspect that they should be black. Anyone have an unrestored example or a 640 data book?

Posted on: 2014/1/14 4:31
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard 1929 640 Runabout
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hi David:

The data book defines open cars as the Phaeton, the Touring, and the Runabout (Roadster in the sales literature).

All others are enclosed cars.

Usually on the Touring some unique trim parts were used - stirrup handles through 1933 for example. So the black specification for the touring car mouldings may be specific to the Touring.

However, it may be an oversight.

To be sure, Packard would give the customer anything they wanted as regards color.

Below are two pictures indicating the prevalent color for the mouldings on all open cars appears to be black.

So I would go with black. Unless you don't like it.

Attach file:

jpg  (72.69 KB)
373_52d5c06dbb3cb.jpg 750X605 px

jpg  (93.17 KB)
373_52d5c08d42f6c.jpg 1024X895 px

Posted on: 2014/1/14 17:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
Tim,

Thanks for the photos however I believe you are referring to what we call the swagings pressed into the body panels.

I am referring to the mouldings that are screwed to the top of the doors and across the top of the dash. These mouldings are usually aluminum and some restorers wood grain them or leave them unpainted and polish them but I think they were originally black. I was seeking confirmation.

I don't like falling back on the idea that the customer could have any colour or finish of their choice. I suspect that this was extremely unusual, so when restoring a car I like to stay with the norm for all finishes. Anything else detracts from the appearance in my view.

Incidentally its not my car but I was asked the question.

Posted on: 2014/1/15 3:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Many original factory photos of 6th series runabouts and phaetons in the photo collection of "Making of Modern Michigan" collection. Have you looked at these? I looked at a few, enlarged them; details a bit hard to see but you might benefit from examining them more closely.

Posted on: 2014/1/15 12:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hi David:

No I am not referring to the "monogram panel" I am referring to the topping mouldings that were done away with introduction of the Dietrich styled bodies introduced through the series.

As I recall Bob Turnquist's 443 was white and blue with red chassis and leather; and black mouldings. The 6th series bodies were virtually carryovers. The Dietrich styling did away with the mouldings.

If the car is an early sixth series car they were probably black, later cars may have been painted consistent with the Dietrich bodies. However, exceptions are the rule with Packards so anything can show up - including a chrome plated hood, radiator shell, and shutters.

If you look carefully at the roadster in the above picture you can see a thin black line which is the moulding. On the seen passenger touring car the black moulding is clearly visible.

In either case Packard would give the customer anything they wanted so forget about being knocked down.

Posted on: 2014/1/15 18:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
Tim & Dave,
Yes we are on the same wave length , we are talking about the moulding on the touring car that the front seat passenger has his arm on. It certainly looks to be black, if it was wood grained it would be lighter.
I consider the question answered, thanks.

Posted on: 2014/1/16 4:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hi Dave:

I found a picture of an original 29 Roadster and the mouldings appear to be woodgrained.

However, during the sixth series there were two different steering wheels being used. One a carryover from the third series - wood - and another black.

If the car has the wooden wheel the mouldings probably should be grain finished. If the car has the black wheel, well, I think you can pick what you like.

In any case, 1929 was a year in which Packard was mixing a lot of parts because of production demands.

The only definite is the touring - black.

Posted on: 2014/1/19 13:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
Tim,

Thanks for that its very interesting, there is always something new to learn on this site, I will let the owner know, he wants his car to be correct but would like to wood grain the mouldings.

I was not aware that any 6th series cars had wooden steering wheels, all the ones I have seen were black.

Speaking of steering wheels, I restored 2 633's both with black steering wheels that had large pieces of the black material broken off exposing the wire reinforcing. In both cases I rebuilt the steering wheels with fibre reinforced plastic filler (bog)and sprayed them with 2 pack black, as an interim measure until I could find good wheels. I am still looking and the repaired wheels are not showing any problems. One of those wheels was repaired over 10 years ago. Maybe it will prove to be a long term fix .

Posted on: 2014/1/20 5:08
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved