Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 155

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Polish aluminum engine
Home away from home
Home away from home

jimw
See User information
For about $100, I have had good success with cleaning the crankcase in a hot detergent wash cabinet that most machine shops or motor rebuilders have.

Jim Wayman
640 Phaeton

Posted on: 2014/2/9 9:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
Actually the cylinder blocks on these engines are iron, not aluminum. The crankcase and oil pan are cast aluminum with a somewhat stippled, non-reflective surface as supplied by the foundry. Packard left these castings unpainted and unpolished. Over the years a coating of oxide forms on these castings that darkens and dulls the surface. It can largely be removed with drill-mounted wire brushes with the engine still in the car. The wire brushing will leave the castings with a brighter but certainly not a polished-looking finish very much like newly-cast aluminum. Oxide will begin to re-form on the surface although it could be some time before it is highly visible. To prevent or at least slow down this oxide process, something like Eastwood's Diamond Clear finish for bare metal can be sprayed on the castings. I've seen a 1930 726 engine done this way, and it looked more authentic than the commonly-found aluminum-painted restorations. I wouldn't put any kind of coating on the inside of these castings.

Posted on: 2014/2/9 18:01
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Phillip Weeks
See User information
If you are polishing a piece of aluminium - not necessarily as large as a crankcase, steel wool and soap is a good way to achieve a good finish. Rub the steel wool (moistened with water) onto the bar of soap and apply to vigorously the aluminium. Deep scratches and marks will need to be dealt with before polishing. It is better to keep the action all in the same direction as you would when using sandpaper. When the surface is polished to your satisfaction degrease it with some solvent and apply a clear protective finish.

Attach file:

jpg  (70.85 KB)
1675_52fca27c1f888.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2014/2/13 5:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
If a coating is being considered, here's one that works, is permanent and has heat dissipation properties.

http://www.finishlinecoatings.com/misc.htm

http://www.finishlinecoatings.com/

I had my manifolds and exhaust system done in cast iron and stainless steel (simulation). If you look at the other finishes they show online, you'll see chrome-likeand aluminum-like ceramic coatings. They coat the inside of pistons with one coating and the outside of pistons with another, on land-speed record cars. They know this stuff.

This picture was at 8,000 miles on the Duchess, but at 10,000 miles now and it looks no different. It stays looking new. Check it out.

Attach file:

jpg  (49.31 KB)
1067_52fceeba3281a.jpg 1024X678 px

Posted on: 2014/2/13 11:17
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved