Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
93 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 92

DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

insatlling balljoint questions?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Vintage41
See User information
So I'm installing balljoints on my 1941 120 Packard my question is do the new one need pressed in? The old came out with a joint remover tool and wd40. Or do I install and just tighten the balljoint bolt?

God Bless

Posted on: 2014/1/20 14:44
 Top  Print   

Re: insatlling balljoint questions?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm guessing you mean tie rod ends? Packard didn't last enough to ever get to the ball joint era and remained with king pins. If you did mean tie rod ends, clean the mating surfaces and tighten the nut until the tapered shank is fully seated, then install the cotters. There may be a torque spec somewhere though I don't recall it offhand - in any case good and snug is adequate.

Posted on: 2014/1/20 14:54
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Vintage41
See User information
Yes sir that is what I was trying to say.

Posted on: 2014/1/20 15:11
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Vintage41
See User information
Ok so I'm in the garage looking at the new tiered ends 2 right hand thread and 2 left. Between the two different tierod end they look a little different. Does it matter which is on the inside and which is outside?

Posted on: 2014/1/20 16:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hi Vintage:

Actually Packard called those things "Taper Ball Joints".

There is one part number for the left hand thread, and one number for the right hand thread. So you can put them on as you please with left hand thread to the left side of the car and right hand thread toward the right side of the car.

The torque is 45-50 ft lbs and should be followed to avoid distorting the steering arms.

Posted on: 2014/1/20 17:36
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved