Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 106

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'49 flexible window channel source?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I got my frames back from chrome and need to change the flexible window channel that goes around the glass inside the door frame. (The semi rigid segmented stainless and rubber part)
Mine's a 2 dr and Kanter's catalog only has "for sedans" which I think would be too short.
Restoration Specialties doesn't show a 3/4" wide channel which I measure this to be. I don't want to create a rattle. Or a work around other have used? For 1/4" glass.
Thanks.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 15:40
 Top  Print   

Re: '49 flexible window channel source?
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Try checking with your friendly local automotive glass company. There are several here in town that carry all of the old stuff, or can get it quickly.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 15:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you can't match them locally, I would look again at Restoration Specialties.

Since most if not all the glass is the same part numbers between 20-21st Clippers and the 22-23 series, I think the channels would be the same also. Is the 3/4 dimension you need the front beaded part or the rear part which fits inside some steel structural supports?

I just replaced mine (47 4 dr) using 5R-96 for the rigid unbeaded vent side and Y526-96 for the stainless beaded flexible piece. The flex piece is available in 96" good for 2 doors, and 72" which might work for the quarter windows. That piece may be 3/4 across the stainless edge but the back edge which is contained inside the supports is closer to 5/8.

The outer dimensions of those channels fit the steel inner support structures perfectly. The inside dimensions fit the glass.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 17:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I'll call them and a local guy that does installs. What I shoulda done first. It's probably originally some different fractional dimension, but I didn't see anything close in the catalog. They had wider and narrower. So I didn't know if this was a hard to get item or not.
The flexible part I was talking about is on top for the curve and rivets to the vent separator and then there's a straight attachment channel piece inside the door.
I measured from between the two flexible SS ribs like they show in the catalog. There's another depth dimension, glass thickness, and length.
I didn't want to get something that "fit" but rattles in the frame with the window down as there's nothing holding it on top except it's own rigidity. Length, I think you just cut it, if needed. It was around 64-5" from memory. It's a part you don't really see, but the rubbers crystallized and crumbly. I'm not going to change the back windows, right now, they're original glass and will stay up mostly. Tint so the minor delam doesn't show. Hey, it's an old car...If I wanted a new one...
The pass side separator was too rusted to use so I had to pull it apart to send for chrome. I tried to get one. I think you can buy new separator channel, but I like to keep the original parts, if possible. Surface might mismatch as the rechrome is flawless, but the drivers looked factory when I polished it out. Since they're on opposite sides, who'll notice? If I was after 100 points, I'd be concerned by those things but these cars just doesn't bring the money to justify perfection. I'm hoping a class hot rod will bring more $$$ after I've had my fun. As luck would have it, after working on this for months, a car I was after is going to auction next month, so now I got another costly decision... Too many cars, not enough time and money.

Posted on: 2014/1/31 16:09
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved