Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
109 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

steering gear box oil
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Opinions please,
Rebuilt the steering gear box with new oil seals, some of which were the old leather type. Are we asking for trouble by using a synthetic gear oil with those seals?
Thanks.

Posted on: 2014/2/3 14:45
 Top  Print   

Re: steering gear box oil
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Certainly no issue with respect to the seals, bearings and other moving parts are the issue. Were it mine I'd go with conventional GL-1 gear oil as the best choice though I have used GL-5 multi-vis SAE 85-140 gear oil in Packard steering boxes for decades w/o issues. If the gearbox has "yellow" metal (brass, bronze) parts many years back there was an incompatibility between the very early hypoid gear oils and yellow metal, so GL-1 is the safest answer though I believe all modern GL-5 gear oils of the current era are compatible with yellow metal if indeed any is present in the construction.

Posted on: 2014/2/3 14:51
 Top  Print   

Re: steering gear box oil
Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
An old steering box that I had apart one time used a thin grease that had diatomaceous earth as a binder instead of Soap or Moly based greases.(really)
The local lawn equipment shop had it on the shelf.
If you ever pull down a grease box that looks like it was full of dirt that had settled in the bottom, that's what it was!.

Posted on: 2014/2/3 16:41
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved