Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
172 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 172

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Electric fuel pump
Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
I find that for the first time I would like to add a fuel pump to my 1940 1808. Never needed one before, but I find here in Vegas, that the gasoline evaporates very quickly from a hot engine. And on a 110 day can have vapor lock, whith I never had in L.A.
I have bought plenty of electric pumps in the past but always make a very loud ticking, and no pressure regulator, the 12 carburetor is supposed to be beefy enough not to need a regulator.
Back to the 1940, would like suggestions on a fuel pump, that might include a pressure regulator, not be so loud, and just enough to get fuel to carburetor for starting, and maybe once in a great while push gas past the vapor lock area. So I would not need to run the electric pump very much, the mechanical will be able to pull gas past the off electric fuel pump.
Thanks

Posted on: 2014/2/16 0:37
 Top  Print   

Re: Electric fuel pump
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hi tolandis:

For an electric pump the best available are the Airtex units sold by Bill Hirsch. They are quiet and small.

If your car has a Stromberg carburetor the more likely cause is clogged main jet air bleeds. This requires the unit be serviced by an experienced carburetor outfit like Daytona, The Carburetor Doctor, or Classic Carburetors in AZ.

Also make sure there are no air leaks in the lines going to the pump. Sometimes a tiny leak will cause fuel to flow back to the tank. A leaky pump valve will do the same. The test is easy, just plug the line after shut down and let the motor sit.

Posted on: 2014/2/16 7:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
You can get them from CarQuest, and others, too, I believe. The model number you need is E-8011. No pressure regulator necessary.
It's what I use on my 1808... I turn it on only as needed, and for cold start-ups when the car has been sitting for a couple of weeks since.

Posted on: 2014/2/16 10:27
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Thanks to both of you, will follow up on both suggestions.

Posted on: 2014/2/16 23:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I recently bought the same pump for my 47. Amazon has the E8011 for 37.66 so if you shop around, that is a good starting point.

Posted on: 2014/2/16 23:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved