Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
195 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 193

Tobs, Wat_Tyler, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Horn RelaySettings
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

jerbear
See User information
Does anyone have a procedure for setting up (adjusting)
the horn relay circuitry? Specifically interested in the air gap on the solenoid, and the gap on the contacts. The contact gap is presently about a quarter of an inch, which seems much to large.

Posted on: 2014/3/13 23:47
 Top  Print   

Re: Horn RelaySettings
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Page 25 in the electrical section of 51-4 service manual has specs and info on adjusting air gap for that horn. Expect other year horns are probably the same or at least close. The 55-6 manual has a better photo but less info. I agree the contacts are way too far apart. IIRC, the contacts are closed when horn is off and only move a few thousandths when magnet and diaphragm activated.

Posted on: 2014/3/14 0:10
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

jerbear
See User information
Thanks. I checked that out, and it will be helpful if I have a 'horn' problem. The issue right now is the 'horn relay' and I didn't see anything about the 'relay' in either the
51-54, or 55-56 Service Manuals.

Posted on: 2014/3/14 22:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Horn relays aren't serviced, in the very rare event of a failure they are replaced. NAPA has them for just a few dollars, NAPA #HR-101 for Packard 12-volt, NAPA HR 100 for Packard 6-volt.

Posted on: 2014/3/14 22:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The relay has no spec. It is considered a service item and just replaced if bad. If I had to guess, I'd say the gap should be in the neighborhood of no more than 1/8". The armature needs to be close enough to the coil that it can be attracted when power is applied. It needs to move far enough away from the contact that there is a clean break. If that can't be obtained then I would replace it.

Posted on: 2014/3/14 22:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved