Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 150

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Tinpan's 39 Super Eight
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Quote:

JoeSantana wrote:
Your car will be stunning. I think it's smart to go metallic because of all the curves on the body that with highlight. It just takes some artistic restraint as to how much metallic. Very fine only, never flaky.

Exactly. Too many cars from the '30s are looking like they were painted in a bass-boat factory!!! If you need a magnifier to see the "metallic", you've just about got it right.

Posted on: 2014/3/27 10:59
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Was a metallic or finely ground pearl used in the original paint formula?

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/3/27 11:06
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Not a topic I'm particularly well-informed about, but metallic (or polychromatic as they were called early on) auto paints on Packard date to at least 1933, perhaps a year or two earlier. I don't have any actual forumlas prior to 1935 but they call for a true metallic content; perhaps naturally occurring materials were used in the very early years but even if so, certainly by 1935 that was no longer the case.

Posted on: 2014/3/27 11:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robin Adair
See User information
Ah yes, the metallic flake, not to worry it is very small. If I decide to use it I would think it's spelled out in the paint formula. It is a Packard paint code.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Tom has made good progress in sanding the old paint down. That's his dad in the background looking on.

All the little blue spots are dents I;m not sure how you end up with these little dents everywhere. The good news is there isn't any rust spots or bondo hiding rust spots

It looks like he's got about 2 weeks of sanding and prep work before it goes in primer

Here you can see the different layers of paint. Beginning in the center you can see the original red primer, then the original black paint. Then you see a blue primer and the next black coat. Then another grey primer and the last black coat. This last black coat was very thin and full of orange peel. There was no way to save it.

The black circle you see is a dent and it shows the last coat of black paint since the sanding block isn't making contact with it.

I am glad I decided to repaint the car.

Posted on: 2014/3/28 11:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robin Adair
See User information

The seats are original and in great shape except for the rear arm rests which we will address later.

Here's the rear seat

Now we get to the part where I have a few questions. This car has front fenders from a 1940. If you notice on the pic above, well, here it is again

There aren't any marker light on the front fenders. I'm trying to figure out if all Super Eights had them in 39 or were they optional.

This car and many others I have seen show them.

This one does not, but it has a chrome strip running the length of the top of the fender.

Trying to figure out if I need to find marker lights.

Posted on: 2014/3/28 11:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robin Adair
See User information
A couple of other areas to sort out are as follows:

How do you like them arm rests. Betcha didn't know they had vinyl back in 39. euwwwyuk!!! I know, I have to do something with them. I would imagine they were broad cloth like the seats or would that be bedford cloth. What do you guys think? I guess I can try to find a yard or so of a similar material

the other question I have is about the dash. The original owner had this dash to use. He also had the butterscotch colored plastic dash which is in bad shape. I'm heading back over to the place where I got this Packard next week to see if they have the plastic speedometer and clock ( Tom says he knows they were there) the flat glass and gas tank.

I am trying to figure out if all 39 Super Eights had that plastic dash or would that have been an option and something like this was standard.

I did find this website: 39 Packard plastic dash

I don't think they are still operational though. Trying to source a replacement dash is a challenge. I'm kind of hoping I don't have to.

Posted on: 2014/3/28 12:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
actually vinyl was around in 1939. But not there. My 41 has bedford cord that looks similar and Bill Hirsch had exactly the right fine ribbed type for my armrests. I'd ask for some swatches.

Posted on: 2014/3/28 12:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I'm fairly certain that fender lights were not even an option in 1939. The ones on the maroon car in the photo you posted are from 1940. You will also often see earlier fender lights fitted to 1938-39 Packards, tho I think the 1940 units are more popular.

The Blue car with the strip on the top of the fender... That car is full of crap that doesn't belong.

Posted on: 2014/3/28 13:28
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robin Adair
See User information
"I'm fairly certain that fender lights were not even an option in 1939."
Cool, I don't want to add them if I don't have to, your observation is very helpful.

I just finished reading your 1940 blog, very well done and what a wonderful car.

I found two swatches on Hirshes site that look close so I'll follow up on that.

Thanks all

Robin

Posted on: 2014/3/28 14:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
If he is still making them, Troosh was making the marbleized dashes. They were for 1940, but might look to be the same as you have pictured. Others on this will no doubt have more input on this.

Posted on: 2014/3/28 20:21
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved