Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 221

DStone417, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Replacing the Gear Selector Boot
Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Hello again! Getting to be time to replace the small column-mounted rubber boot on the gear selector arm on my '54 Clipper. The existing one is cracked, but not bad enough for me to see what's involved in changing the boot.
Would you guys be so kind to advise what's involved..I don't want to get into it and find out that a major disassembly is involved.

Thanks again for all your help!

Posted on: 2014/3/30 10:15
 Top  Print   

Re: Replacing the Gear Selector Boot
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The arm is held to the column socket with a pin. The pin either has a cotter key or a clip ring to keep it in place. Once the pin is removed the arm will pull straight out.

Generally, just to replace the boot your knob should unscrew and the boot goes on from that end. No need to remove the rod unless you want to lubricate inner parts behind it. Be sure to use silicone spray or some liquid soap to lubricate the rubber as you slide the boot down the rod until the inner ridge in the rubber is over the recess in the column part.

There is a chance the knob has thoroughly rusted onto the lever. If so, unless you work diligently, you probably won't get the knob off without damage. Unless the boot is extremely flexible, it is doubtful the boot will slide on from the column end over the pin location portion without splitting. If you do have one of those rusted on knobs and it gets damaged, Yesterday's Radio or Kanter has repros.

Here's a few photos of the assy. Your column part won't look quite the same. This is one I repaired hence the screws and it's from a Clipper so the column portion of the lever is exposed and finished differently.

Attach file:

jpg  (13.71 KB)
209_53383bd10c769.jpg 640X174 px

jpg  (21.29 KB)
209_53383bddd5d45.jpg 640X505 px

jpg  (24.13 KB)
209_53383bed744a8.jpg 640X458 px

jpg  (23.75 KB)
209_53383bfadbbc2.jpg 640X532 px

Posted on: 2014/3/30 10:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Replacing the Gear Selector Boot
Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Howard...thank you! The shift knob unscrews effortlessly, so I will slide the boot on as you suggested.
Warren

Posted on: 2014/3/30 11:58
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved