Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
95 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 95

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Cavalier Electrical Accessory
Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
I'd like to share the details of an electrical accessory I built for my '54 Cavalier. The motivation was to install a modern radio well hidden from view, but since those are 12 volt negative ground units something at bit more complex than throwing it under the seat was in order.

The photo in the upper left is a mock-up of the system during construction. When I bought the car it had 1 inch rough-cut oak seat riser blocks. This riser is comprised of two ? inch oak pieces, which afforded me the opportunity to have a 'shelf' to rest the outer edge of the assembly. You can see the counter sunk bolts that anchor the unit to the riser. The riser block on the right side of the seat does not feature a shelf in that the under seat heater core pretty much takes-up all of the room. Given the 'sag' in the seat cushion the extra ? inch is not noticeable.

The upper right photo, again taken during construction is looking down on the unit. The Secret Audio radio is visible as are the auxiliary relays, fuse block, and sundry electrical components. The yellow item in the upper left corner of this picture is a switchable magnet. There are two of these items along the in-board edge. Each magnet is rated at 95 pounds and allowed me to mount the entire unit without having to drill any holes in the floor pan. A ? turn of the knob activates the magnet, and with two of these little devils and the bolts at the other end the entire system is well secured into the car.

The photo in the lower left depicts the finished product as installed under the front seat. I have subsequently abandoned the idea of supporting the cable bundle from the seat adjustment rod . . . just in case someone re-adjusts the seat! The radio is controlled by either a dash panel display or an RF remote fob. I use the remote most of the time. The dash panel display current rests on the transmission hump while 'under-way' and hidden from view when it matters.

The final photo is the view you would have if you happened to fall-down face first into the driver's foot well. I went a bit overboard on the number of switches, but I'll probably not out-grow the electrical capability in the future. The switch labeled "Master Power' activates the entire unit via an 80 Amp relay. The switch labeled "Fuel Pump" activates the 6 volt positive ground pump that is used to refill the carb after the car sits un-used for a few weeks. The two voltages do not share anything in common except the aluminum panel to mount the switches. Also visible are the cooling fins of the radio amplifier, and a ubiquitous 12V power plug. Having the 'Master Power' and 'Fuel Pump' switches at the opposing ends make them quite easily activated from the driving position. The pump switch is a SPST momentary, while all other positions are filled with SPST continuous switches.

All of the power cables are routed along the floor and over the left rear wheel 'tub' into the trunk. Currently a 12 volt automotive battery is placed in the truck without the benefit recharging while underway. My calculations suggest that I could power the radio continuously for over four days. The longer range plan is to provide on-board recharging and use two 6 volt batteries in series versus one 12 volt battery. The 6 volt battery modification is likely to happen before, make that well before the voltage conversion unit is installed.

At the end of the day my car is equipped with a modern radio that I can plug an I-Pod or I-Pad into, and the OEM radio and remote antenna remain in suspended animation safe from use. I remember in the day mechanical vibrators had a finite life span as well the 'valves'.

Attach file:

jpg  (127.47 KB)
34287_5338ed69c6e2e.jpg 1280X893 px

Posted on: 2014/3/30 23:24
 Top  Print 

Re: Cavalier Electrical Accessory
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Nicely done. That looks like it could run a serious sound setup.

I parked next to a guy at the shopping center that had filled the back of a PT Cruiser with speakers and sound equipment. Whatever kept that tin car together and firmly on the ground with those things blasting away, I couldn't say. At least your Packard has enough metal that it will have a chance of staying grounded and in one piece if you go that route.

Posted on: 2014/3/31 9:15
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
No current plans to go crazy with the audio capability.
I do reserve the right to re-charge a phone or tablet and operate a GPS if need be.

I'm also working on an integrated circuit that will allow a car buff to install a modern tachometer, which would normally constructed to function with 12V negative ground power and ignition signal, into one of our 6 volt positive ground cars. There are some low RPM, 270 degree sweep units that would be quite beneficial in either the car or shop.

The same circuit design should work on installation of additional LED stop, turn, and tail lights, if that be needed. I have some experience driving cars that are significantly sub-sonic with respect to the rest of the traffic. The additional rear illumination appears to awake the over-taking driver at a respectable distance. I have one installation equipped with 4 way flashing capability which I believe is capable of bring the approaching driver out of a cell-phone induced coma even during the day-light hours.

Unless your willing to purchase all of the LEDs individually and spec-out the correct resistor for each, most of the pre-packaged assemblies are for 12 volt. I have had success with the Radio Shack individual 12 volt LEDs (available in red, amber, & green). They light-up just fine on 6 volts, I guess that would be 6.5 - 7.5 volts. I've got one hooked-up to the over drive circuit on the '54 Cavalier, much like the feature on the '48 Deluxe Eight.

dp

Posted on: 2014/3/31 12:09
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
I purchased one of those 6V pos grnd to 12V neg grnd convertors from Ebay and it runs a modern am/fm radio very nicely in my 38, also I hooked up another unit for cell phone charging/gps usage. The convertors supply about 2.5-3 amps.

Posted on: 2014/3/31 13:01
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
I'm familiar with those units. The folks that build them suggest not to use them on devices with high initial current flow such as incandescent lighting. They do have an excellent track record powering the type of devices you mentioned.

The circuit I'm working on would be on the point side of the tachometer where the switching frequency is in the order of 100 Hz. In either the tach application or with steady state signals like the stop, turn, or tail lights the load on the 6 volt side will be something like 0.02 A, which should not jeopardize the wire harnesses or switches of the car.

The load on the 12 volt side will be totally dependent on the equipment installed, however I can limit the current through my circuit to approximately 0.3 A by driving a relay and allow that set of points carry the full 12 volt load. I've got 6 volt relays up to and including an 80 A rating. The voltage rating of the relay in this case refers to the voltage required to activate the switching feature of the relay. The main set of contacts have sufficient dielectric characteristics to withstand many times the anticipated 12 volts.

dp

Posted on: 2014/3/31 15:10
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved