Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
198 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 193

Gary Kulp, CCR, dallas, cooldude980, 64avanti, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

46-50 inner fender side splashers
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The 46-50 appears to be roughly the same so wondering if anyone has an intact splasher that can get a good guesstimate of the thickness and type of material at the shock openings. I am going to order some sheet material or strips and easily available choices are 1/16 or 1/8. I don't have any left in the area on mine to guess what was original. I think 51 on used a canvas type stuff but don't think the earlier did. Would I be more or less correct in ordering a rubber composition strip 2" wide and attaching on three sides with a space in the middle or a 4" overlapping. If so, how thick.

The rubber L shaped edge cushions around the battery and lower sides of top piece have been discussed before with several suggestions. Didn't find the exact L shape mentioned on another thread as being easily available in a reasonable quantity. Knowing the general idea of the widths needed I bought a 1/8 thick U channel which I think will work nicely with one leg cut off. That will leave an L shape of almost perfect dimensions.

Attach file:

jpg  (50.56 KB)
209_535d439872549.jpg 600X569 px

Posted on: 2014/4/27 12:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: 46-50 inner fender side splashers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
I used 3/32 rubber sheet from Steele. p/n 70-0645-45. For the seals I used the preformed "L", from Steele - worked so,so. If doing it over, I'd try the U shape.

Mark

Posted on: 2014/4/27 13:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks Mark. That bottom photo was most helpful. Not only with the shape of the rubber opening so I now know the strips won't work and it needs to be a sheet. Seeing the metal straps, I remembered seeing them laying in a box and had no idea where they went. There was actually a piece of rubber still attached to one.

Posted on: 2014/4/27 13:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
howard; i bought 100ft of L shaped rubber from karr as that was the shortest they would sell, i used it on my 48 custom and 48 woodie and sold some to one of our regional members. it is 3/4 X 3/4 which is smaller then the original which was 7/8 on each leg. i looked all over and it was the closest i could find. dell

Posted on: 2014/4/27 22:41

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I looked for something L shaped like that and didn't find anything the correct size either -- or want to buy a large quantity. Decided to order a 10' length of 1/8 thick square shaped rubber edge trim from McMaster and cut off one leg. That worked out to one side of the L at 7/8 and the other at 3/4 & figured once it was installed it would be sufficient. Unless I miscalculated and missed a piece somewhere, the 10' length should work out to be just right. Around $25 so probably not cost effective but it's only money.

I modified the channel by laying a 3/4" wide piece of flat metal bar stock in the center to use as a straight edge and then cut straight down with a utility knife to remove one leg. That left a nice straight edge which should look satisfactory. Had a strip of 3/4 x 1/8 left over which might be useful somewhere else.

Haven't decided how to mount the rubber exactly. Staples are not going to happen again so it will be pop rivets or binding screws. Ordered some of each in black and will pick the one that looks best -- or at least looks the most finished.

Attach file:

jpg  (42.32 KB)
209_535e94ea91e3c.jpg 464X942 px

jpg  (24.52 KB)
209_535e9500a7569.jpg 640X382 px

Posted on: 2014/4/28 12:56
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I went to look at the upper A-arm/shock covers on my Custom Clipper to see what material they are made, but they are missing. No help from me on this one.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/4/28 15:14
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved