Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
63 user(s) are online (39 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 63

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

56 Rear Torque Arm Bushiongs
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I replaced the 8 bushings (474313) about 14,000 miles ago, sourced from Steele Rubber, and now find they are in need of replacement again. I'm curious if this is a typical life for the Steele bushings? If they're still available I'm inclined to try to find an OEM set as I expect they were made of a more durable rubber. What have your experiences been with these bushings?

Posted on: 2014/6/6 13:41
 Top  Print   

Re: 56 Rear Torque Arm Bushiongs
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Steele bushings are good for static display.
I think they use the same Brinnell hardness rubber for everything. In any case, no one else makes those bushings.

Posted on: 2014/6/6 13:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I wonder how much the TL would suffer if those were the urethane or poly bushings.. Didn't Riki install a set of poly bushings he or his father made or am I confused again and thinking of somewhere else.

Suitability might be a question for Kanter's other line and if something close to fit is available and would work, maybe could be turned on a lathe to Packard spec..

Posted on: 2014/6/6 14:09
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Howard & Randy, thanks for your thoughts. Howard, perhaps you were thinking of the Watts linkage bushings were I got Kanter to give me some urethane bushings for that? In the interim I heard from another 56 owner who had installed the Steele bushings and his comment was that "I did well at 14,000 miles", his only lasted about half as long. If others tend to have the same experience, perhaps I/we can cajole Kanter Bros. into providing a superior part.

Anyone recall which (upper or lower) is subject to the most wear? I just got an offer of 4 OEM Packard bushings and want to put them where they're most needed.

Posted on: 2014/6/6 14:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The lower bushings are in strong compression as they, in effect, pull the axle down onto the torque arm through the U bolts.

There are two work arounds that I use: one is to use an extra piece of flat rubber in between the two bushings to carry some of the load. The other is to dispense with the cupped washers that are used with the 56 bushings, and substitute 55 lower bushings. These have a much broader shoulder for carrying the load, and have the right diameters necessary to locate properly on the u-bolts and in the torque arm.

Posted on: 2014/6/6 16:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On the 55 is the lower bushing the one with two flattened sides or full round?

Posted on: 2014/6/6 16:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Great,,,,Perfect timing on this post, I was just getting ready to order 8 bushings from Max. I think Ill hold off and look at options. It's not a job I want to do twice. What's that saying: "Do it once,and Do it right".

Posted on: 2014/6/6 18:00
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information

Posted on: 2014/6/6 18:57
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
If using the 55s, the ones with the flatted sides.

Posted on: 2014/6/6 22:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
hh, yes i made bushings from flexane 80,,from molds my dad made, he made molds for round and the 55 sorta rectangle ones which i use on bottom,

they are still holding ,,only sitting, since engine is in i guess i should see how it works, but need road miles ,,,

i can make only one each, so it takes awhile to get a set, done,

Posted on: 2014/6/8 4:54
Riki
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved