Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
250 user(s) are online (173 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 250

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: 1940 Brake Pedal Spring
Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
My original canister looks exactly the same, with tubing looking the same, running behind the oil filler neck. West, your canister has the button the bottom which leads me to believe it has the inlet at bottom, and runs from inside filter to outside also. So, if ours is factory correct, do we keep them as is. Again, perhaps machining out all fitting flows,and enlarging the hole, or holes in the inside canister pipe? If we do the second bypass line, will any oil go through the filter?
We are getting off the spring matter, but this could be very important to earlier 356's. When someone gets a fresh engine, might they learn from our mistakes, or factory mistakes.
Thanks again to all

Posted on: 2014/6/28 10:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RichK
See User information
Can you folks see the images I posted a few days ago? I get the black x if I click on them. Weird.

Rich

Posted on: 2014/6/28 10:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

West Peterson wrote:
I think it was the OP who directed us off topic, so it's okay.
I'm curious as to where the drain line leads to???

The plumbing mod is detailed in that service letter I linked in tolandis original posts about the noisy lifter issue but after the mod, the filter drains directly into the pan. The first design prewar engines like yours with the full filter flow to the lifters did not have the drain hole so instructions were given on how and where to drill one. Basically it was in the block directly below the fill tube.. Later engines and not sure exactly when they made the change had the return port cast into the block lower down in the area where the oil pan bolts thread into.

Posted on: 2014/6/28 10:55
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Here's a photo of a spare 356 engine from 1946 that I just obtained. I believe it shows the areas in which you discuss. Are my arrows pointing to the right places?

Mr. Landis, I don't think I will be doing the oil line modifications to my engine.

Attach file:

jpg  (65.06 KB)
404_53aee74d9ffe5.jpg 1080X872 px

Posted on: 2014/6/28 11:01
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Quote:

RichK wrote:
Can you folks see the images I posted a few days ago? I get the black x if I click on them. Weird.

Rich

Yes, but they are pretty small photos and it's hard to see what's where.

Posted on: 2014/6/28 11:07
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

RichK wrote:

Rich

I can see the small photos in the post but when I click to make them larger to try for detail all I get is a blank window with a small icon at top left. Did you post directly to the site via the choose and attach file buttons or did you link to a photo hosting site.

Posted on: 2014/6/28 11:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RichK
See User information
I did what I always do, use a link from SmugMug. Weird.

Posted on: 2014/6/28 11:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

West Peterson wrote:
Here's a photo of a spare 356 engine from 1946 that I just obtained. I believe it shows the areas in which you discuss. Are my arrows pointing to the right places?

Mr. Landis, I don't think I will be doing the modifications to my engine.

In the photo, top arrow is the feed to lifter gallery, middle arrow is the supply from pump and main gallery and bottom arrow is the added factory supplied return port.

Here is one of the later articles showing the plumbing mod and location of newly drilled hole below the fill tube. The earlier one they referenced had the instructions.

Attach file:

jpg  (49.86 KB)
209_53aeea4c74ba6.jpg 387X900 px

Posted on: 2014/6/28 11:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RichK
See User information
I used a different linking method. I don't like the way I had to do that but you can now see the spring and big pictures.

Scratch the above. I figured it out. It didn't like the space in the name. You should be able to see the pics with a click.

See spring top right:
Click to see original Image in a new window

See spring at cross member:
Click to see original Image in a new window

I sincerely apologize for the hi jack but it was driving me crazy.

Rich

Posted on: 2014/6/28 11:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
West, I can click on your engine photo and enlarge it with no problems. Curious about the fittings and tubing as pointed to on the bottom arrow. This is the drain line, but can't figure out what the plumbing arrangement is all about.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/6/28 12:24
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved