Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 147

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

would this supercharger fit my clipper 352cid
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
would this fit on my 55 352 without much trouble. i would like to beef up the ole' beast, but i want to use the original motor. just thinking.

this is from a 57 clipper wagon i believe.

thanks,

Hank

Attach file:

jpg  (21.00 KB)
491_48bc65010b3ac.jpg 450X275 px

jpg  (19.74 KB)
491_48bc6505da4fb.jpg 450X275 px

Posted on: 2008/9/1 16:57
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Re: would this supercharger fit my clipper 352cid
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Define "much trouble"?

Posted on: 2008/9/1 17:06
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
if i can put a supercharger together on a BMW z3.....well, i am pretty sure i can do this, i just needed to know if it would fit on this 352. does the intake manifold fit etc...basically if the motor share the same intake it would seem that this piece would fit right on top of mine. maybe some mods here in there, alittle tweaking here and there...etc....but theoretically is this possible.

thanks,

Hank

Posted on: 2008/9/1 23:33
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The 57/58's all used Studebaker motors, which are completely different then the Packard V8's. So really none of the motor parts of accessories interchange. You would have to fab up some parts. Take a look at Erics '56 blog.

Posted on: 2008/9/1 23:37
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i've been meaning to look at that. i bet eric could help me when i came down to it.

Posted on: 2008/9/1 23:41
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Yes, No, Maybe:

Yes, it can be done.
No, you probably shouldn't do it.
Maybe, just for the wow factor and being able to say it came off a "Packard" engine (which everyone knows was a Studebaker.)

The McCulloch is pretty small to make real boost on a 352". Figure you will get 2-3 PSI at most. By the time you fab the brackets and pulleys, get a new carb bonnet for a 4-bbl, re-jet the carb, re-curve the distributor, re-plumb the fuel pump, and finally spend $500 to rebuild the supercharger, you might get another 25-35 horsepower out of it.

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2008/9/1 23:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Like Jack said, Yes, No, Maybe.

Yes you can do it, but no I wouldn't use a VS57 model like that one in the pic. I used an SN60 which is a LOT better supercharger than the VS57. Check this Link out for more information on the VS57 model.

As for the SN60, I chose it because it uses the same mountings as the newer Paxton units, which are capable of a lot more boost.

As for the "maybe" part, I think that "maybe" twin turbos are a far better idea than a supercharger, which is why I'm using them on my 327. Unless you're going "Ol' Skool" of course, then the supercharger is purely for looks.

On the recurving the distributor, I'd just use my HEI conversion, as it's a lot easier to get parts to recurve a GM HEI than it is for a 50+ year old distributor, and the spark is a lot more powerful than the stock ignition, which in a supercharger application is very helpful.

On the plumbing of the fuel pump, I used a stock 292 Ford fuel pump on my Patrician, which was available brand new from the local parts store. I did have to modify it to be pressure sensitive, however. (That was actually pretty easy, IMHO)

The brackets will have to be custom made, and there's tricks to get it to mount to a Packard V8 that took 5 dedicated members of the Packard V8 club about 3 days to figure out, design, and build the bracket. There's also some things you have to do with the P/S pump, and the crank pulley to get it to work perfectly, which mine actually does, and was dependable for over a year of daily driving.

When I first put the supercharger on my car, I didn't have the fuel pump boost referenced, and couldn't get more than 35mph out of it. Since then, it'll do over 100mph when without the supercharger 80mph was tops. All this on a 1955 320 which has had nothing more done to it than new lifters about 10 years ago and an Edelbrock 600cfm carb. I didn't re-jet the carb, because I actually never got around to it, and figured 600cfm was plenty before the s/c, so it should be about perfect now.

The moral of the story is, if you want to put that particular supercharger on your engine because you already have it, then I will do anything in my power to help you. If you haven't bought it, then I'd do some searching for an SN60 or a modern supercharger and I'll still help ya. If you want to go twin turbo, then you'd better meet me in a bar somewhere so we can have plenty of time to work out the details!!

Also, as far as I know, there's not a single part of a Studebaker V8 that will fit on a Packard V8. I DO know that the intakes are close enough to fit Cadillac engines of the period that people modify Cadillac dual quad intakes to fit Stude V8's.

Posted on: 2008/9/2 1:28
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
twin turbo...sounds dangerous to this old beast....and ALOT more work. 1....where am i going to get a exhaust manifold made or worked up to fit a T anything turbo....wow...what a job.

the supercharger doesn't have to be badass....just put out a bit at the end of the date. ;0) you know 3rd base at least! ;0P

i could go with a small centrifugal one like on my z3...which is good for well over 15 psi easy....but.....i could only imagine what would happen to the motor. i am running 10 psi on the z3. good for another 140hp and 80 ft lbs. the other problem with that is the pulleys for these newer superchargers are for v ribed belts, not single valley like on our cars. it would have to have the older pulley put on it. for the new one all i would need is a A.C. pulley to have the extra pulley and run it off that. i think an electric fuel pump hidden on the frame somewhere would be sufficient as the z3 runs on the stock one....all i used were bigger injectors on it, about 5lbs more from stock.

it would be doable with the newer superchargers heck i could probably use a roots and pop it out the hood....nah.....but i am just thinking outside the box right now anyways......in the end i just want my Packard to be done well so when i hang my hat...i can smile when i turn around and look at her in the garage.

Posted on: 2008/9/2 8:41
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
As you know by now the Studebaker based "Packard"289 is totally different from your Packard 320, 352 or 374.

It would be a shame and a disgrace to rob the supercharger off that engine. There are many parts unique to the supercharged engine, not just the supercharger itself.

To me the thing to do would be to rebuild that engine complete with supercharger and install it in a Stude or "Packardbaker" of the 1957-58 period.

There are still a surprising number of "Packardbakers" around but very few with the original supercharger still on and functioning.

All parts for the supercharger and the engine are still available. The supercharger itself is still being sold as the "Paxton" for 5 litre Mustangs, 305 Camaros etc.

If you want just the supercharger they are not hard to get. I have 3 of them on the shelf in my garage. 2 off Ebay, one from a local hot rodder all bought within 1 year.

Please don't butcher an extremely rare engine. I believe there were no more than 5000 of the supercharged engines built by Studebaker in 1957 and 58 combined.

Posted on: 2008/9/3 14:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
Eric, some how we are gonna have to get together on the supercharger set up! everytime i ask we get started with the discussion then something happens! lol

Posted on: 2009/3/2 21:24
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved