Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
174 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 173

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Auxiliary Electric Fuel Pump
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
The photos posted by acold are of the same unit I bought from Great Plains Packards.

Posted on: 2014/9/7 21:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
All pumps have a NPSH - net positive suction head -requirement as well as delivery specifications. It may not be listed on small auto parts but should come with a proper install diagram.
Centrifugals don't "pull" until the pump is flooded/liquid full/primed. So improper location could actually make things worse. Liquids seek the same level, so long as you're below the minimum fuel level it's should work. May require priming the line due to routing.
PD - positive displacement types - like mechanical diaphragms or rotary gear types - can pull into negative head/vacuum and are, therefore, prone to vapor lock in low flashpoint liquids or w/ higher temperatures.
The early tanks, lines, and pumps are or become somewhat undersized with corrosion, wear, etc. and the check valves aren't the best so they can "skip" with surging, etc. The tank outlet fitting on my '49 has a 1/8" opening, so you're not going to flow more than that primary restriction no matter how hard you pull. In fact the harder you pull makes it worse as the gas will flash(vaporize) across the opening. That's why there's a fuel bowl/float on the carb to allow the pump to catch up at idle, etc. PD's don't usually like to be run dead headed, so it's a flexible diaphragm type.
Unless it's strictly required due to physical factors, I'm not a fan of pumping into a pump to make it work, so I'd rather see efforts addressing the stock parts/faults, than add complexity. Less costly and makes troubleshooting much easier. A new fuel line and a rebuild of the pump and carb should cure what ails it. I like a fuel bowl filter on carb inlet to see what's happening also.
One over-looked item, the "pulsing" mechanicals require a dampener and mostly they are not replaced just plugged off. I found one for my pump at "Then and Now".

Posted on: 2014/9/7 21:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve Henderson
See User information
Hey, thanks, David. I didn't see that ad in my last issue. I'm givng the local O'Reilly's one more chance to come up with one. If they can't, I'll order one from Great Plains Packards.

Steve

Posted on: 2014/9/8 15:36
Steve in Indiana

1949 Deluxe Eight Sedan
1955 400 Hardtop
1956 400 Hardtop
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Anyone contemplating a pump might also check out Amazon. They have the 6 volt 5-8 psi Airtex E-8011 listed at about $31.00 and the 6 volt 2.5-4psi E-8902 at about #40. Free shipping on the $40 item but you would have to add on another $5 item to get the other one free.

Posted on: 2014/9/8 15:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
I got an Airtex E8012S pump (12v version of the 8011) for $24.79 from Rock Auto. with shipping it was $33.66, cheap.

Posted on: 2014/9/8 17:01
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
The ad was on page 30 of the July issue. First one I found on the desk! All of this inspired me to finally install it on my 51 Packard. Took about an hour, mostly for the wiring. I cut out a section of the steel line under the driver's side of the car and saved it, just in case anything ever went wrong I could put it back in using two short pieces of rubber hose. Be sure to install a replaceable fuel filter between the tank and the pump to protect it. I hooked up a pull switch under the dash, this way I can glance at it and tell it it is on if I can't hear the pump running. Works nicely.

Posted on: 2014/9/8 18:24
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved