Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
202 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 202

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Auxiliary Electric Fuel Pump
Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve Henderson
See User information
I want to install an electric fuel pump as an auxiliary to the mechanical one on my 1947 Clipper Six. I've been told that electric pumps push better than they pull, so the pump should be installed as near the tank as possible. I'm wondering how some of you who have done this have installed yours, and the result.

It seems a lot of plumbing and wiring to go that far just to jump over the mechanical pump, and I wonder how necessary it is to be near the tank. I'd rather install this up front, but i'd also like it to work.

Thanks,

Steve in Indiana

Posted on: 2014/9/6 19:12
Steve in Indiana

1949 Deluxe Eight Sedan
1955 400 Hardtop
1956 400 Hardtop
 Top  Print   

Re: Auxiliary Electric Fuel Pump
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I think most of us have installed the electric in the fuel line nearer the tank and plumb thru the mechanical pump. Most also have the electric pump on a switch and only used for priming and vapor lock. Pulse type electrics in the 2-6 psi range are simple to install inline but rotary pumps generally won't allow a mechanical to pull thru so need extra plumbing and check valves to let the mechanical pull around the rotary. Some rotary pumps also have too great a pressure and need a regulator.

The advantage to the the tank end approach is as you mention, the push. Also, the pump is out of sight and most of the fuel line will be slightly pressurized when the pump is on. With that length of line being under the slight pressure, it is felt by many to be the best approach to helping the vapor lock issue.

The downside going thru the mechanical pump is if there is any problem in the pump then conceivably gas could be forced out onto the ground or into the crankcase. If you didn't want to go thru the mechanical pump then to get the full advantage of the electric would require a separate line and check valve with a tie in after the mechanical pump.

There have been some various combinations of electric and hand pumps in the line after the mechanical pump. AFAIK, they work OK for priming but whether it would be an advantage in helping vapor lock when increasing suction in the line when the gas in the line already wants to bubble is a question. To my mind the looks would also be a detriment and I think harder to mount in front.

Posted on: 2014/9/6 20:13
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
I installed my electric pump along the frame rail on the outside in front of rear wheel. I chose this place for ease of repair or replacement of pump or filter with out the need to get car up on jack stands or ramps which I don't carry with me. I can reach it with car on the ground. safety first as I do not trust jacks with me under car.

Also carry a piece of fuel line which can be used to eliminate either pump if one should fail.

Pump is mounted with rubber and the rubber hose help to prevent any noise or vibration .

This setup makes for much quicker starting after car sets for extended periods. Also helps when starting when hot as my carb is enclosed in a air box for the supercharger.

My pump has a three way switch off in middle spring loaded for short term use and on for extended use such as would be needed if mechanical pump was to fail.

After having this system I have been more than satisfied with the results. With the added benefit of not having to use the starter motor and battery as much

Attach file:

jpg  (107.60 KB)
252_540bcd4a6b3d9.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (98.86 KB)
252_540bcd6464ecb.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/9/6 22:13
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
I just mounted an electric pump very similar to acolds, but I put the pump inside the frame rail for a little beter crashworthiness. I jogged the hard lines over the frame rail and then hooked to the pump with rubber lines. It is pretty much noiseless and pushed gas to the engine pump instantly. I like the idea of the 3 position switch and will totally steal that when I run the wiring.

Posted on: 2014/9/7 0:18
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve Henderson
See User information
This is really helpful information, and I appreciate your input. I, too, like the 3-position switch idea.

The electric pump that I bought is cylindrical and is about 3" X 4"--apparently huge by comparison to the one pictured. I think it must be a rotary pump. I would rather have one like the one pictured. Can anyone tell me where to get one? My local O'Reilly jobber only had available the one I bought.

Thanks,

Steve

Posted on: 2014/9/7 5:26
Steve in Indiana

1949 Deluxe Eight Sedan
1955 400 Hardtop
1956 400 Hardtop
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I usually buy them through Rock Auto online.

My experience indicates that the rotary type pumps are difficult for the mechanical pump to draw through. This added resistance to flow multiplies the symptoms of vapor lock and you need to leave the (rather noisy) rotary pump running most of the time. Send it back.

Posted on: 2014/9/7 6:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I mounted mine up near the front, on the frame just aft the front wheel. It is only used temporarily. I've also just rebuilt my mechanical pump. So far, no problems with it being in front.

I used E-8011 from CarQuest. Found under the brads of Airtex, Carter and/or Federal Mogul.
Online prices seem to be around $45, but I think the store price is around $65. No need for a regulator.

Posted on: 2014/9/7 6:24
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve Henderson
See User information
Again, really helpful. I think I'm ready to go with this.

I really appreciate all the help. Thank you!

Steve

Posted on: 2014/9/7 7:19
Steve in Indiana

1949 Deluxe Eight Sedan
1955 400 Hardtop
1956 400 Hardtop
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
My understanding of the reason to mount an electric fuel pump close to the gas tank is that vapor locking occurs in the unpressurized part of the fuel system. The further back the electric pump, the more of the system that is pressurized. I don't know if they work better pushing or pulling, but the vapor locking in the unpressurized part of the system makes sense.

The electric pump on my '55 Clipper is mounted on the inside of the frame rail at the top of the arch above the rear axle. It is a Carter pulse type and works great for priming the system and over coming the occasional vapor locking.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/9/7 15:25
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
If you're a member of the Packard Club, there is an ad in the back of the Cormorant News Bulletin for an AC 6 volt pump for $75, sold by Great Plains Packards in Kansas. The address is P.O. Box 75, Maize, KS 67101 phone is 316 722 0224.

Posted on: 2014/9/7 18:49
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved