Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
178 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 177

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Help on 46 Deluxe Clipper Again
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tom
See User information
Thanks again for my last problem with my fuel system. Everything was solved by making sure I had enough gas, cleaning out the in-line filter and filter on electric fuel pump. So that part is behind me.

Now I have 2 new problems after doing a shake down trip yesterday. I think they are separate issues, but I am not ruling out that they are related.

Starter Solenoid is acting strange. Sometimes it would continue to spin after trying to start and then one time it kept going until I had to get out and disconnect the battery which fortunately I have a quick disconnect switch for. In reading in this forum, it appears that this could be due to corrossioin or pitting. I found that I can get a replacement solenoid from Max Merritt for about $175.00, but am contemplating pulling the existing one and doing an inspection and some disassembly and re-assembly to see if just some cleaning might clear things up.

The second problem is more confusing and concerning. I started to get a high pitch gear grinding noise while driving. When the car is traveling at a constant speed or accelerating, there is no noise. When coasting is when the noise occurs and the confusing thing is that is happening with the clutch pressed in or the car in neutral. It essentially sounds like I am downshifting. I checked the gear oil in the transmission and that seemed okay.

Is there any chance my starter issue could cause this type of problem? Otherwise, I am guessing clutch linkage or transmission problem. Any ideas are helpful.

Posted on: 2014/11/12 10:12
 Top  Print   

Re: Help on 46 Deluxe Clipper Again
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On the starter solenoid, am assuming your engine has the smallish round unit on top of starter motor? If so, it is possible it is sticking but another possibility is the starter switch at carb is mis adjusted or dirty so spring and vacuum can't disconnect the switch mechanism properly or quickly enough when engine starts. I would rule that out and if the solenoid is the type that is able to be disassembled, go ahead with checking and cleaning before buying a new solenoid. If the small round type you can most likely find new modern units that will fit and work at many parts stores. Just won't look quite the same.

If your starter has the large senior type solenoid with a rectangular box enclosure on one end, then there is a relay inside the rectangle part which actually works the solenoid. The relay could be sticking or acting up..

Posted on: 2014/11/12 11:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tom
See User information
Thanks Howard. Mine is the smaller roundish one on top of the starter. I will go ahead and see if I can fix it.

Posted on: 2014/11/12 12:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
You can buy a new solenoid ST 63 at Napa for around $50.

Regarding your gear noise upon coasting: Excellent chance that the pinion nut on your rear axle has come loose. Grab the back of your drive shaft--you should not be able to shake it. If so, tighten the nut to oh say 100 ft-lb or so and stake it.

Posted on: 2014/11/12 12:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Solenoids of that type were used at one time or another by just about every automotive make in the business; while perhaps not available under the original Packard part number as NOS, they are easily available. Try NAPA for an Echlin ST-63, perhaps it' still an active # or has an interchange to a new number. Listed for some model Packards 1940 thru 1954. The same unit was used by Hudson, Kaiser-Fraser, Nash, Studebaker, Willys, and by truck makers Diamond-T, Divco, Federal, International, Reo & White. Cole-Hersee also makes electrically identical solenoids though the mount bracket might be flat and not curved.

PS - Ross, you've got quick fingers on the keyboard!

Posted on: 2014/11/12 12:58
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tom
See User information
Ross, I checked the play in the drive shaft and it did not seem to move, but I am thinking you are right. I recall having the same problem several years ago (before the internet). To get at the pinion bolt, I believe I have to remove the drive shaft from the u-bolt. I am guessing once I put a torque wrench on the bolt I will know right away if it has loosened.

Regarding your comment of "stake it" I am not sure what you are suggesting. I did read in another thread a recommendation to put some red loc-tite on the threads.

Posted on: 2014/11/13 12:28
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved