Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 157

Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

WTB - 352" V8 Pistons .030" or .040"
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Anyone got any sitting on a shelf you'll never use?

Seems like every time I talk to a Packard guy about the big dollars of my latest parts order, he'll say, "Wish I'd have known you needed those, cause I've got some I'll never use."

So, here's your chance to clear the dust off that back shelf.

jack vines

Posted on: 2014/11/21 21:42
 Top  Print   

Re: WTB - 352" V8 Pistons .030" or .040"
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Since no individuals here offered pistons for sale and no one has any info on the supposed new pistons from Kanter, my customer decided to go with Egge.

They had them and were here within the week. It's obvious their quality control has improved dramatically over the past several years.

jack vines

Posted on: 2014/11/30 15:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Glad to hear Egge is meeting a higher standard. I know I was disappointed in their product some years ago.

As to the Kanter piston, maybe I missed an update but thought that entire V8 piston project had never materialized. Think the reason was there were not enough pre-commitments to buy a set for the upfront cash outlay and minimum quantity order to be feasible.

Posted on: 2014/11/30 16:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
somehow I am going to get seed money to start a foundation to get daily driver parts made,,,to,, Packard specs..

Posted on: 2014/11/30 17:06
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I don't have any Packard V8 pistons laying around loose to answer the following question:

On an OEM Packard V8 piston can a common ordinary shop magnet be used to detect the steel strut in the piston???

Posted on: 2014/11/30 20:02
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
As to the Kanter piston, maybe I missed an update but thought that entire V8 piston project had never materialized. Think the reason was there were not enough pre-commitments to buy a set for the upfront cash outlay and minimum quantity order to be feasible.

I should call Fred for details. However, maybe Jim will be along and clarify the situation.

Quote:
On an OEM Packard V8 piston can a common ordinary shop magnet be used to detect the steel strut in the piston???

Yes, a magnet applied to the inside of the piston next to the pin boss should stick to the autothermic steel expansion strut.

It's also clearly visible through the holes just below the ring grooves if one looks closely.
Quote:
I don't have any Packard V8 pistons laying around loose.

I've got boxes of used 352" and 374" pistons - how many do you need? FWIW, the 10:1 compression 374" definitely show more pre-ignition/detonation damage on the piston tops. Some owners weren't paying for Sunoco 260.

jack vines

Posted on: 2014/12/1 11:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Jack Vines:
Just out of curiosity, out of all of the Packard V8 engines u've overhauled over the many years, how many of the engines actually needed to be bored due to excessive wear of any kind beyond reasonable service limits???
Now i realize that some customers insist on a new bore even on a new engine that had been in storeage since it left the factory. But how many engines have actually NEEDED a rebore due to wear?????

Posted on: 2014/12/1 12:46
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
As to the Kanter piston, maybe I missed an update but thought that entire V8 piston project had never materialized

HH56, that proposal by Kanters was to make an exact duplicate of the OEM piston and yes, I don't believe it ever came to pass. I don't recall if they wanted upfront monies but they did want a sufficient expression of interest to proceed but there were only a small handful of people who expressed interest. But Kanter has always had pistons available for the V8s, though I don't know where they are made or other details.

Posted on: 2014/12/1 15:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Everyone forgive me if my wine fogged memmory is playing tricks on me here. But IIRC it was HH56 (or someone) from about 6 or 7 years ago indicated that they had a V8 with chevy pistons in it BUT THAT the piston did not come flush to the top of the block (hence lowering CR).

Anyone else remember that???? OR was it just an hallucintaion i had.

Posted on: 2014/12/1 16:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
Everyone forgive me if my wine fogged memmory is playing tricks on me here. But IIRC it was HH56 (or someone) from about 6 or 7 years ago indicated that they had a V8 with chevy pistons in it BUT THAT the piston did not come flush to the top of the block (hence lowering CR).

Anyone else remember that???? OR was it just an hallucintaion i had.

They are Chrysler 413 pistons and I don't know if they come to the top or not. The engine was assembled when I got it back from the machine shop the second time and all I wanted was a running engine & didn't ask many questions.

At the time - it was when Jim Nance was the honored guest at the PI membership meet around 30 years ago - it was the option of Egge for new or find old used. No NOS or other repros were available. I had just had the engine rebuilt with Egge and after a few miles around town and engine running nicely, went to the membership meet - about 600 miles round trip. On the return, about five miles from home the engine started chirping faintly and intermittently and by the time I was home, it was loud and constant. Had it hauled back to the shop and two bad -- one collapsed and one close to failing -- Egge pistons were found. Guess it is a wonder the engine didn't seize. Trying to find new pistons, Steve Williams was the one who suggested the Chryslers. After checking with the machine shop who said they could do it, the die was cast.

I don't recall the poster but believe it was someone on this forum that mentioned the Chrysler pistons did not come to the top and there was other work involved in making them fit. I would not do it again today because apparently Chrysler 413 pistons are almost as extinct as Packard NOS and the block had to be bored .060 over to fit them. Any future work on this block will be difficult or expensive to resleeve for something stock. The car isn't run much these days but I think I hear a growling and occasional knocking noise but can't decide if it is there or if I'm just hallucinating. Maybe it just needs to be driven more so the rebuilt of the rebuilt engine can fail too.

Posted on: 2014/12/1 16:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved