Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
188 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 184

Aiden, Big Ben, William Grosz, cooldude980, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Seals for inner door openings
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

jerbear
See User information
I have the door panels off my 22nd series. I was surprised that there were no seals(covers) over the inner door access panels. Both my 26th and 56th series have seals--either metal or paper, to keep moisture away from the door panels. Should the 22nd/23rd series have some kind of seals over the openings? I don't see any part designated in the Parts Manual, and there are no screw holes or attaching clips.

Posted on: 2015/1/10 22:54
 Top  Print   

Re: Seals for inner door openings
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
21st series didn't have any covers either so apparently they didn't use anything before the 51s.

I don't know how much an issue it is but if you wanted you could add something to alleviate any problems. As you mentioned, some Packards used a sheet of asphalt-felt like material over just the openings but even if you could find some, the cutting and fitting might get involved and barely worth the effort. Later GM and probably other mfgs used a thin mylar like material on their cars. If you used something like that it would be hidden and easy enough to attach or remove. GM used a few dabs of adhesive to keep theirs in place but McMaster has some precut thin film 20x27 or 27x38 adhesive backed polyester (PET) rectangles for $3.25 or $6 each which would be a convenient alternative. Be just about the right size to cover the lower half of the door including all the openings.

Posted on: 2015/1/10 23:20
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

jerbear
See User information
Thanks. I have a partial roll of roofing felt (tar paper).

I'll see how difficult it is to make some covers from that and tape them in place.

Posted on: 2015/1/11 17:17
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Check out my blog on this. I bought a roll of knock-off dynamat, and "sheeted" the entire inner door using the door panel as the template. This gives you a nice moisture barrier, sound and vibration dampening and also helps with temp insulation. And its invisible under the door panels.

GM and other from the 80's used basically thick plastic sheeting which you can find at your local Lowes/Home Depot.

Posted on: 2015/1/14 14:15
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved