Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
224 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 224

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Reproduction Coolant Distribution Tubes?
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Plastic = poor heat xfer????
Maybe i don't understand the purpose of the DISTRIBUTION tube. Is it not for the sole purpose to DISTRIBUTE coolant and is located INSIDE of the engine??? Ergo it is NOT a radiator nor a heat sink and ergo any heat dissipation or absorbption properties of the tube itself are irrelevent.

Posted on: 2015/2/9 10:40
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Brass or copper or bronze or SS are poor conductors of heat. Or poor compared to steel or Al. NO???

Posted on: 2015/2/9 10:47
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Many common production cars over the last 10 years haave plastic radiators??? Or am i just hallucinating???

Posted on: 2015/2/9 10:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
The tanks are plastic, but the core is aluminum these days.

Posted on: 2015/2/9 11:11
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Thermal Conductivity (higher is better conductor)

Carbon Steel 360
Cast Iron 310
316 SS 113
Al 5052 960
Naval Brass 810
Bronze 524 350

Copper-Beryllium alloy is used in tooling when you want really fast heat transfer

your point on distribution vs conductivity is well taken though. The lower modulus of , say, polyamide ("nylon")
would mean a thicker tube and less flow area.

I think header tanks are polyamide on modern cars, not the cooling surfaces themselves.

agree that steel is a terrible choice

Posted on: 2015/2/9 11:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't think one would need to be too concerned with heat transfer on a distribution tube. I would be more concerned with the corrosion or rust issues. While plastic might be optimum in that respect, I would think brass or quality stainless the better choice since plastic would need to be thicker & probably result in reduced flow. I could also foresee some non standard conditions where there is a chance plastic could actually melt inside a block and form a blob almost impossible to remove.

As far as a repro goes, that should be an easy do with brass or stainless once the dimensions were input into a CNC program to cut the holes and basic shape. Bending it up in a single piece and then rolling the seam might be an issue without some custom mandrels and equipment but if it were made in two pieces it could be bent on a simple sheet metal brake with brazing or welding at opposite corners or sides to make the tube shape.

Posted on: 2015/2/9 12:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
...with brazing or welding at opposite corners to make the tube shape

I've repaired some using silver solder which has a melting point well above anything likely to be encountered. Pretty easy soldering brass.

Posted on: 2015/2/9 12:08
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved