Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
132 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 128

JWL, Packard Don, Don B, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1936 packard pebble beach winner
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Just talked to a gentleman who owns a 1936 super 8 2-4 passenger coupe (958). He claims it won pebble beach,and I suggested that it may of won it's class but not the whole thing. After the pebble beach win he got offered $1 million and refused to sell it. Data plate shows production #245 and he claims there were only 14 made. You see not much of the story adds up,but my question is does anybody know where I can find class winners from pebble beach? The website only shows last years. Just wondering when this car was at PB,and if it even won it's class.
Needless to say this guy thinks he has a goldmine and has priced it that way. For what he wants I can buy a very nice packard V12 roadster!

Posted on: 2015/2/10 13:42
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Re: 1936 packard pebble beach winner
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I don't know how the shows and contest actually work. But is it unreasonable to expect somekind of a certificate or other documentation or trophy to be issued to any winner of any show of such a class act as PB?? Does the owner haave any such certificates or other credential for the 'winning car"??

Posted on: 2015/2/10 14:22
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
You are correct: At best, he won best in class, but I HIGHLY doubt even that. Why doesn't the seller just call up the guy that offered him the million and call it a day? Why does he have to advertise it? Because it never happened for real.

Of course it's not worth a lick more than $80,000 if it indeed is as good as a PB winner, but that's just my professional opinion.

Posted on: 2015/2/10 15:00
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The other comment, if it was quoted correctly, that always puts me on guard is when someone makes a unequivocal statement like "there were only 14 made" when we know that if there were records by body style (doubtful) for prewar cars they have never surfaced. Further he gives the VN as 245 which could mean just 45 made and this number exactly coincides with a well-respected statistical analysis of 1936 Super 8 production by body type.

Posted on: 2015/2/10 15:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Obviously the guy is a nut. Heck, there were two of things for sale on ebay for a lot less than a million dollars.

Why anybody would spend all that money to get a cheap dime store ribbon at Rabble Beach is something I don't understand.

I knew one guy who had a stroke and started spending money that way afterward, but the whole sordid affair is not something I am remotely interested in.

Posted on: 2015/2/10 16:20
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved