Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
125 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 6
Guests: 119

Ernie Vitucci, CCR, Don B, TxGoat, Peter Packard, HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1955 Packard Treadle-vac
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
Well I visited Ross Miller at speedwell garage today to have some brake issues fixed on my car. The car had the treadle vac rebuilt by white post less than 1&1/2 years ago and suckered me in with a "lifetime warranty". Well heres what Ross CORRECTED:

1)The bore of the cylinder casting had been resleeved but the bypass port had not been redrilled.

2) Outer piston seal was obviously reused and also somewhat damaged.

3) The return stop washer and cushion on the top of the power piston was missing.

Needless to say White Post will NEVER be getting any business again from me-and I should of went to Ross in the first place.

Posted on: 2015/5/4 22:17
 Top  Print   

Re: 1955 Packard Treadle-vac
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Can't say I'm surprised, lots of not-so-good reports about White Post for some years now. And IMO Ross does top-notch work on anything he undertakes.

Posted on: 2015/5/4 22:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
Ross is the real deal for sure.

Posted on: 2015/5/4 22:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
I know nothing about WhitePost but if Ross will confirm the rebuild deficiencies asserted, I think that you should provide the information to the Consumer Protection Bureau and possible the Attorney General or District Attorney office of their jurisdiction.
We all get screwed occasionally on parts that do not meet expectations, but the BTV is an antiquated piece of technology whose inherent difficiencies have filled innumerable posts on this forum and others. Unfortunately, there have been few replacements offered that allow the use of the existing pedal location with its inherent 1-1 ratio.
The BTV therefore is a part that is needed to stop two tons of old steel moving at some speed. Anyone holding themselves out as a professional rebuilder of such a unit has a moral and legal duty to not allow that unit to leaves its shop without assuring that it will not endanger you, your passengers or the general public.
A "lifetime" warranty to repair or replace the unit is of little value to anyone who is killed or maimed because someone took a shortcut on the rebuild.
No one expects a rebuilder to be a guarantor of the product for life, but if the unit fails due to obvious shortcuts that render the unit unsafe, double your money back is not a sufficient remedy.
Excuse my rant but these folks are playing with lives in addition to our tin and I take that personally.

Posted on: 2015/5/5 0:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
I can only agree - THEY ARE BRAKES 90% IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH THEY HAVE TO WORK 100% OF THE TIME.I am also convinced the reason these units have a bad reputation is because of the incompetent rebuilders out there.Id be willing to bet I will not have to touch that unit after being PROPERLY rebuilt by Ross for years.

Posted on: 2015/5/5 0:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
My position on the BTV issue is clear. Replace the damn thing with a modern dual master cylinder and booster. I don't understand why ANYONE would risk even a 99% rebuild on a POS like the BTV. /rant

Craig

Posted on: 2015/5/5 3:13
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
WauhopM
Did Ross indicate any specific maintenance schedule and procedures for the BTV units???
A SPECIFIC schedulee in terms of MILES and/or TIME.

Such as draining and flushing the entire brake system or any periodic rebuilding of the BTV IN MILES AND/OR TIME or anyother significant procedures on a MILES OR TIME basis.

Posted on: 2015/5/5 9:30
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
Ross did say the car suddenly accelerating and losing brakes was due to dirty brake fluid-I myself pulled a little piece of copper flashing that was floating inside the reservoir with a pair of tweezers-how it got there I do not know.He did say the 3 problems with the white post rebuild would have caused a problem in the not to distant future.Ross did flush all the old fluid out and put in new brake fluid.

Posted on: 2015/5/6 15:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
What fluid are you using?

Posted on: 2015/5/6 18:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I pretty much always use standard brake fluid unless silicone is particularly requested.

I treat my treadlevac equipped cars exactly like all the others: sorta- mostly -kinda every couple of years do an extensive bleed of the system so that the fluid in the reservoir, lines, and cylinders is fresh. That simple expedient keeps the whole system in great shape for looong periods of time.

When any of my cars starts to use fluid at the rate of needing to be topped up more than once a year, the problem is found and corrected. For example, the 60 Lark I inherited from the original owner had its master rebuilt in 87 when I did the car over. That master now leaks down in 3 months so will be done over.

The treadlevac in my Packup is pushing 10 years old and 40K miles. Its probably due for a thorough bleed/flush again this year but I will have to check the logbook.

Posted on: 2015/5/6 20:56
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved