Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
194 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 192

Chuck McDonald, Stewart Ballard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'49 Steering wheel questions
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kleroy
See User information
My steering wheel shows traces of ivory paint on it and I was wondering if Packard just painted their steering wheels or if they used an Ivory colored type of plastic like Tenite? Also I see some steering wheels have a what looks to be a stainless steel garnish on the upper part of the spokes, is this an option of some sort? Thanks!
Kevin

Posted on: 2015/5/8 22:06
 Top  Print   

Re: '49 Steering wheel questions
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Custom 8 wheels were a kind of solid (not painted) semi-translucent ivory with chrome trim on the spokes. Lesser models had plainer wheels. Someone else can give you a better rundown on the differences by model. I don't recall if 22nd and 23rd series were different, if so a 1949 could be either.

Posted on: 2015/5/8 22:18
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike Burkhart
See User information
I have a 23rd series 1950 Deluxe 8. It has the chrome upper garnish on the wheel spokes. I believe the Standard 8 did not have that. My wheel is dark brown. I have seen in the "Accessory catalog" of those series, the Ivory wheel is an accessory you could buy or upgrade to.

Thanks,
Mike

Posted on: 2015/5/9 15:18
Proudly using my real name for 67 years.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Anyone could've painted it at some point. Depends to a point where the ivory shows. If the ivory is under another color it might be correct. If all color is worn off/missing and some ivory shows, it's more likely correct. If the ivory is over another paint layer, it's not.
If you take the wheel off*, look at the center parts, under the horn center or over the horn switch. It should be most intact or you can scrape at an angle to expose the color layers.
My '49 deluxe wheel was painted brown to match the brown basecoat of the wood grain dash/garnish trim. The plastic under the paint is darker "chocolate" brown. And there's those two chrome "wing patches" on the cross bars that were molded in.
* - a simple wheel puller can be made from a small >1/4" thick flat bar with two threaded holes to match the wheel threads and two long grade 8 bolts. I think there 3/8" fine or something.

Posted on: 2015/5/9 20:47
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kleroy
See User information
I pulled the steering wheel yesterday, it came off easily with a puller my friend had. I checked underneath the wheel where it is covered by the shroud and there was peeling black/brown paint under which was ivory paint. I'm starting to wonder if the ivory color is some kind of primer. There are other spots on the wheel where i sanded lightly with 220 grit paper. The ivory is the last coat before you hit the hard rubber of the steering wheel, so it may be a primer coat. Would it be correct to repaint the wheel in Ivory? I like the look of a lighter wheel especially since the Limo front seats and door panels are upholstered in black leather.

Posted on: 2015/5/10 19:39
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved